View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:03 PM   #19
vvcarpio

Thank you, TomH, jeephotog, Streets.

TomH, I use Dynamic Photo HDR (DPHDR) to create the HDR images which look pretty flat then enhance them using Topaz and Photoshop.

A by-product of DPHDR (and other HDR software) is the "ghosting" of moving objects such as people, sometimes to the point of invisibility.

But DPHDR is not the only reason there are no people in many of my shots. I take most of them around 7-8am, when there are hardly any tourists out yet, just people walking briskly to walk.

(And when I see a family out that early trying to beat the crowd with children in tow still looking sleepy, their excitement rubs off on me because I see my place of daily grind through fresh new eyes...)

During slower exposures of my HDR bracket, people that walk into my frame do not show in the image because they move fast. During the faster exposures, I time my shot so that no one is in my frame.

A few more shots taken the past few days are below with #s 10 and 11 taken today.

#8)

#9)

10)

#11)

#12) Not really midtown anymore (and not even winter) but downtown (in the summer). I just included it because, ah well, I like it.

When I started this series, I just wanted to experiment with objects near and far -- with far objects being famous NYC landmarks. It then dawned on me that in NYC if you don't look where you're going -- say, if you're constantly looking up at the skyscrapers, jumbotrons, and spires of old churches -- sooner or later you'll walk into a lamppost, step into a manhole, or tumble a large garbage can over (not to mention get run over by a bus just kidding). So indeed, this series may be a fairly accurate rendition of the NYC experience...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote