View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2012, 2:28 PM   #8
JimC
Administrator

Years ago, I worked for Sprint Long Distance in Atlanta, and I decided to rent an apartment right around the corner from their [very large] office complex there.

I thought I got a super deal on the apartment at the time, because other coworkers were telling me how much more they were paying.

Then, the first night after I moved in, the windows starting rattling and I heard screeching noises startling me; and after running outside to figure out what was going on, it became clear that I had rented an apartment right next to a train track (you could see the tracks through some trees from my second floor balcony, on almost the exact same level). LOL

It didn't take me too long to adjust to it. But, when I had friends over and the train went by, they'd become startled like I was for a while, exclaiming "what is that" or something similar. Sometimes I'd have to think about what they were asking about for a minute, before realizing they were just hearing the train (as I had "tuned out" the noise after a while, and didn't even notice it).

IOW, you get used to it. ;-)

Now, of course, the shutter noise from a camera is very minimal compared to a train going by. But, it's not something I pay much attention to, unless a camera is too quiet.

About the only time I've paid much attention to shutter noise in years is when I bought a little Konica KD-510Z pocket camera. With that one, it was *too* quiet. But, fortunately, you could turn on a shutter sound in the menus, so that it played the shutter sound of a Konica Hexar Rangefinder when taking photos.

That way, you had some "feedback" when takng a photo, since the silence without it turned on would have made it's use unacceptable (at least to me, since I'd want to know that it was taking a photo and ready for me to take another one, and the feedback from the shutter sound is a good thing from my perspective).

I'd suggest just trying out some camera models in a store if a louder shutter bothers you. Personally, I prefer a camera with a shutter sound I can hear above louder background noise, since the shutter sound provides me feedback on what the camera is doing. For example, I listen very carefully when taking a photo at slower shutter speeds, making sure I don't release the shutter button until I'm sure the shutter has closed to reduce vibration (versus "poking" at the shutter button which can cause blur from camera movement at slower shutter speeds, I smoothly depress it, hold it down until I hear the shutter open and close, then release it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote