View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:57 AM   #41
JohnG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug74 View Post
Nothing is ever up, up and up as there will always be fluctuation. I'd be concerned if the dropping was year over year.
Unfortunately, getting global data is a rarity. We get Japan data every year but it would be a mistake to extrapolate that just like it would be a mistake to rely on Amazon figures.

Quote:
However, I don't see the manufacturers abandoning DSLR's anytime soon. 15 yrs from now....who knows.
No, they won't be abandoned. I do think they will go back down to a more normal footprint - just like film SLRs did.

Quote:
When you compare a picture taken with a DSLR vs a Point and Shoot, most people (from my experience) prefer the DSLR.
Sure, but that's not really the question. The question is how many of said people USE a DSLR vs their cell phone/tablet or point-and-shoot. When you're primarily viewing photos on smart phones the difference for many photos really becomes "not worth the hassle" to most people. DSLRs went through an explosive bubble phase. But a lot of folks have already given it up because it's a pain in the butt to carry around. And, they realized that 90% of the photos were just viewed electronically anyway.
Quote:
I wouldn't go back to a fixed lens if you paid me too. I think the micro 4/3 are a bigger threat to taking a chunk out of the DSLR's sales as they become more sophisticated with their lenses. I do foresee those sales increasing as they are more affordable than the higher end Nikon/Canon lenses (while the quality isn't quite yet there for certain type of shots, give it a few years and I think that could change).
Everything will reduce the abundance of DSLRs. 5 years ago the difference was HUGE - now, smaller options exist that will take the casual photographer's money. Sure, serious hobbyists will still opt for DSLRs or other ILCs. But the majority of buyers aren't serious hobbyists. So, I don't think DSLRs will come to an end but they will shrink down in overall marketshare because the smaller, more portable options are good enough for the average consumer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote