View Single Post
Old May 5, 2014, 8:43 PM   #21
ramcewan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiPersei View Post
Dr. Hsing Cheng and Shubho Bandyopadhyay, University of Florida, and Hong Guo, University of Notre Dame.

If you grew up with the internet I would have thought you would have known how to Google.
No need to be condescending because I don't agree with you. I asked because I wanted to give you the opportunity to provide a correct reference instead of assuming where it came from. You don't have to agree with me but I expect you to be respectful of my points just as I am of yours.

So the study you cited is six years old and the model is based on a single ISP in the market. I couldn't find the source of funding for this study referenced, I wouldn't be suprised if it were funded by a federal grant.

Quote:
a monopolist Internet service provider
(page 7)

and the conclusion is premised again on a single ISP.

Quote:
The absence of meaningful competition in providing broadband access to consumers in many
areas of the United States makes the broadband service provider a de facto monopolist, and therefore the
sole gatekeeper in determining (a) the content that gets across to the end users and (b) in what fashion.
Therefore the debate about net neutrality assumes tremendous importance to a policymaker.
(page 29)

That may have been true in 2008 but now it is no longer true. As I've pointed out repeatidly we now live in a much more competitive ISP space. FIOS and AT&T were just beginning to invest in rolling out their networks in 2008 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verizon_FiOS) . 4G cellular service was first offered in 2008 (Sprint WiMax), Verizon didn't start offering 4G until 2011, same time as AT&T (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#United_States)

Simply put the study is based on a premise (ISP monopoly) that is no longer valid.