Thread: Camera Problem
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:08 PM   #2
VTphotog

Have you reset to factory settings? (I would guess so, but have to ask)
You might also try leaving the battery out for 24 hours, and charge it while it's out, then restart the camera. Electronics can do weird things, sometimes. Check for any residue around the camera contacts and rub a clean cloth over them. Further than that, I can't really guess.
As to the eclipse: I strongly recommend not pointing the camera at the sun -ever-. Besides possible damage to the sensor, your eyes are prone to damage from UV, even during totality, from the corona. The way I shot the 1984 annular eclipse in SC was to use a telescope to project the sun's image onto a white paper, and take photos of that. This was prior to digital cameras, so sensor damage wasn't an issue.
It got a little busy, as I had made my setup on the spur of the moment, and the 'scope, camera, and projector screen were all separate. A better way would have been to make a bracket to hold the camera and screen to the scope, so I would only have had to move one thing instead of three, every few seconds. (when you get that much magnification, the motion is also magnified)
One reason for doing this is that you wouldn't need a filter on your camera lens, and have to remove it during totality, which could cause missed shots.
I had hoped to be able to travel to get pictures of this eclipse, but it is looking less and less likely, so I will have to settle for whatever partial is visible here.
Good luck.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote