View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2004, 7:46 PM   #2
JimC
Administrator

Chuck:

Try one out in a store. Some stores should have demo models.

What I have found is a wide difference between models (probably due toQC and calibration). So, I think that some reviewers and users get "good ones" and some users and reviewers get "not so good" ones (to be polite to Konica-Minolta).

I recently discovered a hidden Autofocus calibration menu in my camera and accidently engaged it (I didn't realize it would immediately begin an Autofocus Calibration when you went into the menu). As a result, I noticed that Autofocus took significantly longer until I managed to get it back close to where it was to begin with. It took a little bit of work to get it back to Normal again (or, I should say a lot of work -- test targets at various focus distances while recalibrating, etc).

Trust me, you don't want to use the "Developer Menus". You won't get into them by accident. A very difficult keystroke combination is needed. So, if you get a well calibrated camera, I think you'll like it.

When properly calibrated, the AF does take close to 1 second before the camera will shoot. So, many newer models can beat it. However, it seems quite speedy for my purposes. It's also got a continuous mode that allows you to hold down the shutter button for multiple photos. It's not as fast as most. However,you can take 1 photo every 1.3 seconds until the memory cards are full this way by holding down the shutter button.

I leave my camera set this way all thetime, and I've never accidently taken more than one photo unless I wanted to. With most othermodels, you need to engage a special burst mode (which has a limited number of photos). Sure, they are faster, but they aremore limited, too. So, there are pros and cons.

You can also use fixed focus choices and virtually eliminate any Autofocus Lag. I've got mine setup where these are available under one of the controller keys. So, sometimes, I'll just leave it on a 2 meter fixed focus choice indoors in very low light. At wide angle, the camera has plenty of depth of field. So, most photos within the flash range will be acceptable sharp that way.

Will this be your first Digicam?

Personally, I've found the KD-510z (a.k.a., G500) to require the least post processing of any camera I've owned. All of the photos in my Konica album are "straight from the camera" except for redeye reduction in a few. I will warn you that this camera has "demon eye". So, be prepared to spend time correcting redeye (which can be time consuming).

It's one of the tradeoffs I was willing to accept in order to get a camera I could carry with me everywhere in a pocket. A larger model would be better in this respect (since the flash would be located further away from the lens).

So, it's probably not the best indoor camera (but none of the subcompacts are particularly good indoors).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote