View Single Post
Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:11 PM   #5
Stevekin

I concur with the above advice, and, while i DO NOT recommend trying this at home, this little crumb of comfort comes from the October 2004 (issue 14) of a publication here in the U.K. called Better Digital Photography (same stable as What Digital Camera for those of you in the U.K.)

I quote :

"Worried about losing your pictures if something happens to your memory cards? Recent research by Digital Camera Shopper suggests you should rest easy as most memory cards were found to be virtually indestructible.

Five memory card formats - CompactFlash, Secure Digital, xD, Memory Stick and Smartmedia- survived being boiled, trampled, washed and dunked and left in hot coffee or cola. They were also put through the washing machine, trampled by a skateboard, run over by a child's toy car and being given to a six year old boy to destroy (by jumping, biting, throwing, kicking,scraping and bending).

Even some of the thinner cards that appeared to be fragile fared well in the tests, though most cards did fail to get through two additional tortures-- being smashed by a sledgehammer and nailed to a tree. Even then, data experts Ontrack Data Recovery were able to retrieve photos from the xD and Smartmedia cards!

Each of the tested cards was loaded with the same 14 images totalling a little over 6MB. Five of them were single colour canvasses in red, green, blue, black and white, eight were ordinary shots taken at two or three megapixels, and the last was a copy of the old BBC test card."

No info on brand, speed or capacity, but i for one, while still being careful, will not be frightened to handle my Lexar cf cards anymore.

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote