View Single Post
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:20 AM   #4
NHL

Well I have a miracle to report because according to the statistics my 10D should be 100% dead by now!: My old Metz 45CT-5 put out 24V (actually just measured it again 24.6V with freshly charged NiMh) and I have used this flash on the 10D for over a year. It also looks like my 4 other Canon bodies that I have used and collected with this flash are still alive and kicking as well. So much for statistics hey... Here's what other Canon's users (beside me) have to say about this wedding workhorse: http://reviews.iwon.com/pscPhotograp...2_3121crx.aspx
"I have owned the 45CT-5 and the actual 45CL-4. Both are perfect machines in terma of power, versatility and rugged design. The SCA-connectors link both flashes to my old Canon A1 or (CL-4 version only) to my EOS 3. I prefer using the A-TTL-mode of this flash over the e-TTL mode of the dedicated systems (my Canon 420EX flash) since the latter tends to unexpected under- and overexposures. Read the comments of some professionals on the 550EX systems VERY carefully!"

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
It's amazing how cheap camera manufacturers are...there are external devices (like the Wein Safesync) that are able to clamp down the voltage to a safe level for these cameras, why can't they put that technology IN TO
THE CAMERA? Why don't the camera manufacturers put warning labels on the camera to let you know of this issue?
Voltage alone is meaningless, but it's also the current flowing through the electronic switch to complete the circuit. An open voltage alone is harmless (or if its current is low enough). The Wein Safesync is not designed to limit the voltage alone: According to the ISO, this device is also intended to sink more current than a camera can withstand: for example let's take a hypothetical 6V strobe which can source 100mA and you are synchronizing 3 of theses heads to the camera (ie 3x100 = 300mA) -> you're now also exceeding the 100mA ISO limit! Which is worst? Three 6V heads @ 300mA or one 24V strobe with only 10mA sourcing capability.
Does the concept of power means anything to you guys? :idea:

KCan wrote:
Quote:
IMO, cameras do not need any of those extra "technologies", it`s just the final output devive that have to be more robust (and $$$) ... may be 10 cents and an extra 2 or 3 cubic mm more per camera :?
They do. According to the ISO standard these cameras have a Zener (costing only pennies) and why the Canon manual (page 106) says that it might not fire with a higher voltage because it is clamped down by the 24V diode. Nowhere does the manual says that a higher voltage will damage the camera.

The ISO 10330 is a test method which a manufacturer uses to pass its characteristics so their equipments can be compliant for sale in the EU. This directive is NOT OPTIONAL and defininetly not for Canon which is an ISO 9000 certified company! See page 5 listing below and the other photographic Work Items (WI) that they adhere to: http://isotc.iso.ch/livelink/livelin...28026&vernum=0

The studio strobes designers did not dream up the higher sync voltage in the vacuum. Most well known professional studio strobes need the higher voltage because prior to the advent of wireless trigger, photographers required to run long lines back to their cameras. The low-voltage signaling tend to be unreliable and also triggered falsely with noise coupling through the cables. The higher voltage provides this kind of noise immunity by giving the signal a higher rejection ratio in raising the threshold...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote