View Single Post
Old Nov 16, 2004, 9:06 AM   #16
Sivaram Velauthapillai

TC3 wrote:
Quote:
you know very little about how high car dpreciation actually is! You say car tech hasnt changed much over the years....it is obvious you are not familiar with the car industry or you would not have made such a daft comment
How much do cars depreciate exactly? Certainly nothing substancial compared to digicams, computers, etc.

I would not say that cars have changed much since the 60's. There are only two areas where there has been any significant changes: safety and environmentally-friendliness. Other than that, the changes are slow. If you look at the price of cars, it has not changed much. I don't have any real numbers but if I had to guess, I would say that cars have only decreased by around 20% in price since the 70's (adjusted for inflation). That is not anything major and that certainly hasn't improved affordability that amount. That vast majority of people now only afford cars by taking on debt.

I may be exaggerating a little bit but I still stick by my point that car technology and prices have not changed that much in the last 30 years...
Sivaram Velauthapillai is offline   Reply With Quote