View Single Post
Old Jun 18, 2005, 6:01 PM   #1
pineywoodsman

I find it hard to get decent photos when there's more then 50% sky cover.

What happens is if I aim the camera more toward the ground I overexpose the sky and it becomes a white haze of little detail. It seems when there's no sunlight it's hard to get color too, and the land (trees) look dark and dull. I've tried fooling around with the WB and changing it to CLOUDY but that doesn't seem to help. I've also changed light metering settings (evaluative-default, spot,etc) which doesn't help. In sunny weather I have no trouble getting photos. But unfortunately, the weather here seems to be cloudy alot (especially lately) which seems to be ruining photo opportunities.

These photos were shot today with auto mode

Now these photos were shot when the sun was behind a cloud. The first photo I aimed my camera straight ahead and overexposed the shot. The weak sunlight is creating some shadows..

The next shot was underexposed as I aimed my camera toward the sky to get detail there...

What I wound up doing was selectingout the lower part of this photo and brightening it, then pasting it back on to the photo. Only problem was making the enhanced part blend with the sky. There must be a setting somewhere so you can paste things and have them "blend" into the photo. I had to blend it in myself here.

I just wish I wouldn't have to "photoshop" everytime the weather stinks to get a good photo. I have a Canon Powershot A75 and I wonder what other users do when taking landscape photos in cloudy weather. I've seen good shots in cloudy weather and I notice that the human eye doesn't seem to have trouble "seeing" colors in cloudy weather but cameras sure do. Sure you can always overexpose the shot and get a white sky, but that looks unappealing, especially in scenic photos where having sky detail is important.

pineywoodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links