Newbie here - I've been browsing Steve's Digicams for ages and I'm glad I finally checked out this forum, and signed up. I'll follow the general template I've seen here for these introductions. I hope I don't bore you too much!
1) My music tastes are fairly eclectic: ABBA, Bach (all of 'em), Beethoven, Berlioz, Big Band (various), Billy Currie, Bizet, Blondie, Bowie, Brahms, Bruch, Bruckner, Chemical Brothers, Chopin, Corelli, de Falla, Debussy, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Dvorak, EBTG, Elgar, Elton John, Eurythmics, Fatboy Slim, Franck, Gordon Lightfoot, Grieg, Heart, Holst, Human League, Jean-Michel Jarre, Jimmy Somerville (& Bronski Beat), Joni Mitchell, kd lang, Lalo, Liszt, Madonna, Manic Street Preachers,endelssohn, Midnight Oil, Moby, Mozart, Mussorgsky, My GarageBand Stuff, Numan, Orff, Orgy, Pet Shop Boys, Peter Gabriel, PIL, Prokofiev, Pulp, Rachmaninoff, Rammstein, Ravel, Rimsky Korsakov, Roxy Music, Rush, Saint Saëns, Santana, Satie, Schubert, Schumann, Sibelius, Smetana, Squirrel Nut Zippers, Tchaikovsky, Télépopmusik, U2, Ultravox, Vangelis, Vivaldi, Yello. I'm sure I've forgotten a few dozen names.
I am musically untrained however last year I began dabbling in home-made synth music; I have lots of tracks posted here:
Varying styles and varying degrees of success. This music isn't everyone's cup of tea but I'm having fun and that's what's important, isn't it?
2) Books... unfortunately I haven't done much reading in the past couple of months however it's mostly sci-fi for me. Favourite authors include Frank Herbert, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Azimov, Larry Niven, Samuel R. Delany, James Blish, Alan Dean Foster, Kurt Vonnegut, H. G. Wells, Ursula K. Le Guin, Stephen King, and many, many more...
3) Favorite movies - again, my tastes are eclectic: Blade Runner, 2001: A Space Odyssey, lots of sci-fi, Lost In Translation, most of Woody Allen's movies, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Victor Victoria, Alien, Aliens, Singing In The Rain, any old movie starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, Some Like It Hot, Koyaanisqatsi, A Fish Called Wanda, Philadelphia Story, It's A Wonderful Life... the list goes on and on and on.
4) I like all kinds of cuisine; these days I prefer Korean and Japanese food though.
5) Favorite drinks: Guinness, Kilkenny Cream Ale, and anything from my favourite local brewery:
...This is masterful stuff.
I also am rather fond of the offerings of two California wineries: Fetzer, and Delicato. Very nice, very nice.
6) Cameras: I started out taking digital pictures with a Kodak EasyShare CX4200. That was followed by a Panasonic Lumix LC70 as of March last year. I am surprised at how much I was able to squeeze out of the LC70; within its class it's surprisingly capable. Finally, I very recently (August 7 2005) I treated myself to a camera I've wanted since it was announced: a Lumix FZ20
. Boy oh boy, is it ever nice. I'm extremely happy with it.
7) Photography: I have enjoyed photography for years; when I was going to college I often worked for a friend who is a pro photographer. While at University I did a lot of my own black & white photography & darkroom work. More recently, I have been posting digital pictures here:
The pics were all taken with my LC70 but as of yesterday it's the FZ20 from now on. Let me know what you think of the pics I've posted.
Varia: I'm in my mid-forties (still feel like I'm in my mid-twenties!), and live about thirty-five kilometres northeast of Montreal, Quebec. I work as a university administrator. Other hobbies include orchid growing, gardening...