View Single Post
Old Sep 26, 2005, 4:35 PM   #8
JimC
Administrator

In this forum, although not strictly enforced (too many posts, not enough time), we ask that a specific image you want critiqued be posted (versusmultiple images).

This helps to keep the threads on topic, with more focused critiques.

Forum Guidelines for the Critiques and Techniques Forum

Note guidelinenumber 4:

Quote:
4. Be Concise
Please post only one image per thread...this will allow each image to be judged on it's own merits and keeps the thread on topic. A critique which picks apart every detail of the image posted had better be worth the time reading it.
Posting more than one version of the same image is OK in response to critique (here it is cropped differently, etc.).

Note that others miss this guideline, too (very often), and we often miss these threads. I just happpened to take a look at this one.

If you have a specific image you'd like others to critique, please feel free to post it here (and if you have more than one you want critiqued, start more than one thread, keeping it to one image being critiqued per thread).

If you are looking for more general comments (versus getting a critique on a specific image),feel free to visit some of the other Post Your Photos Forums.

Thanks for understanding.

I have not examined the images in detail, and I'll stick to what "stuck out" when I saw the first one. There is a lot of purple fringing (and/or blooming), with even more unsightly Chromatic Aberrations going on here (for example, the red fringes).

You may want to visit our Editors (Photoshop, etc.) Forum and ask for some tips on cleaning it up.

I see you're using a Panasonic DMC-FZ20, and this photo appears to have a lot more CA (Chromatic Aberrations) than I normally see in photos from this camera. Are you using any lens accessories (Teleconverters, filters, etc.)? If so, they may be causing some of it (anytime you add another piece of glass, it can cause some problems).

If you aren't using lens accessories, then I don't know the reason for it (other than perhaps CCD blooming being a contributing factor due to the brightness of some image portions,or that your aperture was wide open and this modelmight dobetter stopped down some depending on focal length). I can't see any EXIF to tell the camera settings used, and other Panasonic users would probably be your best bet for figuring out if this is normal behavior or not.

It could even be that camera settings are a contributing factor, as I see some things (for example, under the chin), that appear to be halos from sharpening (although not in the way I normally see them). Although this could just be blown highlights from overexposing this area (under chin).

Is this a 100% cropor something (where artifacts may stand out more)? I just don't normally expect to see these kinds of artifacts, unless something else is going on.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote