Thread: Minolta Lenses
View Single Post
Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:35 PM   #12
JimC
Administrator

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
would you recommend a 50 mm 1.4 or 1.7 for indoor church shots at a wedding? I dont think my 28-85 f3.5-4.5 will handle it and i'm pretty sure i won't be able to use a flash inside.
It depends on where you're going to shoot from and the conditions at the time of the ceremony (how much ambient light you'll have).

Check with the minister on where you can shoot from (if you can shoot at all). If you can't shoot during the ceremony, you can probably restage someshots afterwards.

As inexpensive as a 50mm f/1.7 is, I'd make sure to have one in your bag.

You may be able to use a zoom instead. You'll need to find out what the lighting is going to be and determine if your equipment is up to the task.

You need to know exactly what to expect before hand (what the conditions will be, where you can shoot from, etc.) so that you'll be better prepared.

It's also about "balance", trying to keep shutter speeds up, noise down, and the appropriate depth of field for the desired results, while telling a story of the wedding via your images. If your focus is off at wide open apertures, expect blurry photos (and the tiny viewfinders in Digital Cameras don't lend themselves well to manual focus if light is very low).

I'm trying to tell you.. you really don't want to walk into this without more experience under your belt. You can't expect to buy a new digital camera and instantly become a wedding photgrapher.Some people act as assistants for years before going into it solo.

I've shot weddingsand my work stinks (and I've got a pretty good understanding of the technical aspects). Doing a good job is a lot more than the technical part.

I would not trust myself to be able to do the job as the primary photographer for a wedding. It takes experience to get good at it and you only get one chance at capturing the moment.

My advise would be to find yourself a local pro and offer to be an assistant, as I suggested to begin with. You don't want to shoot a wedding with no experience under your belt.

If you can't use a flash during the ceremony and the minister wants to restrict where you can take photos from, you need to be prepared. Of course, even if you can use a flash, you might be competing with the guests for vantage point, etc. Be prepared.

Also, what if the lighting is so bad that your lenses won't even focus?

How about lighting for the group shots? How about fill flash outdoors?

What if your equipment malfunctions? It happens, usually at the worst possible time.

Try to shoot some weddings *before* you have to do it as the primary photographer, and be prepared for unforeseen problems.

You're asking a lot of questions about basics for someone that's going to be a paid photographer for someone's wedding.

Sure, you might be able to pull it off. But, a good pro can tell a story with photos that will be appreciated for years to come.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote