View Single Post
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:42 PM   #15
JimC
Administrator

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
JimC, you did it again!! You're now 2-0!! Much appreciated!! It worked!!
I figured that you must be leaving out an important step (like the actual crop). ;-)

Quote:
So then what is that slide bar for at the bottom right corner just under the work window? Shows you how much you've zoomed into the image. It's now obvious that wasn't the "cropping tool". Heh!
It just lets you zoom in to see fine details (and you can move the image around by pressing your left mouse button and dragging it when you're zoomed in to see the desired portion).

Quote:
Also, when you've cropped an image in let's say 4x6 aspect ratio...when you go to print that image it should automatically fill a sheet of 4x6 photo paper right?
Only if you order 4x6" prints, or your printing software is setup for 4x6" prints. All cropping the image is doing is making sure it's the correct ratio of width to height for that size print. The prints could be at any multiple of that aspect ratio (4x6, 8x12, etc.). Of course, you'd want to make sure the image had enough resolution to support the desired size (don't try a 16x24 inch print from a 1 Megapixel Image). lol

The crop tool just lets you control what part gets cut off, so that you don't get any unexpected surprises (some printing software will give different borders, and some will automatically crop so that equal portions of the side that's too long is cut off).

When you crop using one of the available sizes, you can crop for both composition and aspect ratio (ratio of width to height).

Quote:
Can you explain how the print process works for me briefly?
I've never used Picasa for printing (I've never even tried printing from it). lol

But, it shouildn't be too difficult to figure out if that's what you want to use for printing. It looks like it's got some print sizes you can configure under it's options screen. Then, if you press the print button, you can select an available layout that matches the printer and paper sizes you have available.

If you use Picasa to print, you shouldn't even need to export the images (you could print them from within the Picasa application).

If you are going to have them printed somewhere else, you could copy the photos you export to a CD or memory card (or just upload them to an online printing service).

Most home printers also come with software that lets you print photos. So, if you have a printer, you may want to give it a try, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote