View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2006, 4:46 PM   #89
mtclimber

Flash Thread Lesson 4 Continued

As I promised yesterday (08/03) having taken a look at slave flash hardware, today, let's take a look at what kind of photos that you can take with them. As you will probably recall, I mentioned that a Slave Flash will work with any camera. Because I have all of the consumer level DSLR cameras that I let students try-out during our workshops, that do not mean that I have the brand name dedicated flash units for each of those DSLR cameras for the students to use with each of those DSLR cameras.

So here is what I do: I teach slave flashes and then I have the studentsuse slave flashes during the flash workshop, switching as we need to, during the flash session. Another thing to keep in mind as well. The three long distance slave flash photo samplesused in this lesson are from my files because I did not have an event available that I could rush out to and take sample photos for you this afternoon. The sample portraits were taken right in our living room with my husband Bradley volunteering to pose and using my DS equipped with the 18-55mm kit lens.

Let's take a look at the two portrait samples. The first was taken with the slave flash in the vertical bounce position and the camera's built-in flash acting as a fill/primary light source. Here is how that looks:

In the second portrait sample, I wanted you to see most of the effect from the vertically bounced slave flash, so I shielded the camera's built-in flash with my hand, thus reducing almost all of the camera's built-in Flash's contribution to the photo, but still giving enough light to fire the vertically bounced slave flash. Here is how it looks. Notice that the bulk of the light is coming from overhead because the vertically positioned slave flash was bouncing off the white ceiling.

Next, we have a look ata photo were the camera's built-in flash was pointed straight ahead (after all it is fixed in that position, but I don't want any confusion) and the Slave flash was positioned at a 45 degree angle tolight both the ceiling and to spill into the photo as well. Here is how that looks:

The next two photos are taken with both the camera's built-in flash and the slave faced straight ahead to get the maximum light. The camera's ISO setting raised to ISO 800 to get better flash distance and so that I could use a Zukio 40-150mmtelephoto lens (there is a 2.0X additive for that lens)to take the photos at 40 feet from camera to subject distance.

So there are a few samples of what you can do with an inexpensive slave flash.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote