I would like to share with you my impressions from my short experience with SMC M F2 50mm lens.
Keep in mind that I am a newbie and I could only use it on two occasions, mainly in the street on cloudy days.
Hope this will be helpful for others like me on a LBA rash.
Camera body used: K100D with SR on.
1. The angle of view for a 50mm (equiv of 77mm) is kind of small for street photography
2. Manual focus is not that bad but not a whole lot fun either.
The focus assist (or whatever is that called) helps but it takes time to get used to.
3. Getting the right aperture/speed combination is challenging.
I tried the M mode with AE-L button quite a bit with not so good results. It will over/underexpose for anything slower
than F2.8. The lens diaphragm would stop-down to the barrel's setting (similar with the DOF button effect) but
the selected shutter speed is too slow most of the time.
4. Because of point 3., shooting in RAW would be required for fixing the exposure mishap
5. The easiest setup for me was the Av mode and lens wide open. Somehow it sets the appropriate shutter speed.
6. The aperture value does not make it in the Jpeg EXIF which makes the learning experience quite difficult
(reminds me of the old 35mm days).
7. When it exposes properly the image seems to be relatively sharp and free of artifacts.
Bottom line: M (K) lenses are not for sissies. I would stick with AF or manual focus with A setting lenses.
It is possible I do something wrong or I got a crappy lens.
What are your thoughts?