View Single Post
Old Feb 24, 2007, 6:31 AM   #1
sydneykiwi

As a newenthustist to photography I am struggling with getting the right mix of settings to achieve frozen action withindoor basketball. Although to confess up front I have only todaystarted to experiment with a new lens.

OK -I have a AF-S 70-200 F/2.8VR IF. Now with my first outing today Ileft everything up to automatic withvery mixed result. Mostly the shots defaultedto f/2.8 withbetween 1/30 - 1/60 shutter & ISO 200 (there was very good natural lighting frommutiple skylights).

The biggest 'problem' though' is that while theprincipal player is in focus, the rest of the players where blurred.

Now from an earlier post I have read I should be using Shutter Priority at around 1/500. If I use this then I suspect the appeture will go to f/2.8 and I will still be left with poor DoF. If a stop down to f/8 or lower and lift shutter speed I am hoping I can overcome the DoF problem.

The question/request from anyone that can assist is do you have a matrixof 'ideal' settings mix, including metering, single or continous focus, ISO, etc. The camerais a D100.

Finally I know that 70-200 is not the best for basketball certainlynot from 4 feet from the sideline. For wider shots I think I will have to look at buyingeither;

a) AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8D IF-ED or

b)AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF

or perhaps even a prime lens such as AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D.

My second question then is that ifI go only down to a 50mm prime will this make any significant difference over the existing 70-200mm in terms of getting everything under the basket, as well as the basket and the inner ring in the shot or do I really need the 17mm.

Many thanks in advance to those that respond.

sydneykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links