View Single Post
Old May 23, 2007, 8:27 PM   #31
fldspringer

Keoeeit wrote:
Quote:
A "trick"(?) I use in my Sony where it also temporarily blanks out the EVF between shots is to first set my camera to a manual parafocal distance and f/stop so most everything I shoot will be in focus. Then look through the viewfinder with my right eye, while also looking at the scene the camera is seeing with my left eye (unobstructed by the camera). I can superimpose the two scenes and learn what is in my left eye (no viewfinder) is also what the camera will see. By visualizing that rectangle out in front of the camera in reference to the edge of the front of the lens (keeping my face firmly planted against the camera so there's no shift), I get a pretty close approximation of a make-shift sports-finder. Alternately, you can make (or buy) a sports-finder to attach to your camera's hot-shoe or tripod socket. (I REALLY need to make myself one of those things, for as many times as I mention it you think I would have by now. But using the above method I usually get by without one.)

(For newbies, a "sports-finder" is a zero-magnifying framing device, with a small peep-hole sight to look through or line your eye up with it, and a larger rectangular section out in front that you can see through. Most often made of clear plastics with rectangles inscribed on it to match your camera's field-of-view, or just an open-wire frame or nested frames for different zoom settings. You can easily see what is outside of your camera's field-of-view (FOV) and bring or keep your subject within the area the camera sees while panning around rapidly.)
This is exactly why I use a DSLR exclusively for action shots. Read through the two paragraphs and think what a convoluted mess this really is vs just looking through the lens and seeing what the sensor will see.

There is a lot to be said for keeping your fingers on the zoom ring and quickly zooming and having the changes relayed to the viewfinder at the speed of light. For action, I won't use anything but the DSLR, even though I also own a pro-sumer point and shoot.

Having tried the point and shoot for action, I could hardly believe how easy the results are with the DSLR by comparison. If action is your thing, there is no substitute.

The last images of the birds were nice. The primary reason is the secret to great wildlife pics. GET CLOSE! Nothing else, including camera choice,is as important.

DSLRs are not for everyone. The choice is a personal choice based on cost, ease of use, shooting style, and convienence. DSLRs are not old history, but they are not the all to end all either. They have an advantage in some areas, and action is one of those areas.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote