View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2007, 4:54 PM   #2
MorePixels

ardic22, I owned the D30 and that was the camera that changed my opinion of cmos. I eventually traded it for the better D60, same size sensor, more pixels, but *less noise*!

The results I get and see with the d60 is more "film like" images!

I'ver also read recently that Kodak is making their own cmos, or more likely having some onemake it for them!

All of this prior knowledge of cmos really baffled me as to why the hybrids that use them are lacking so much.

I think like any thing, quality control is very important in production. I read some where that a large percentage of sensors that fall below specs are suppose to be discarded, but some manufacturers sell them to other companies!

Also, it took Canon 2 years to really fine tune their cmos technology and firmware! They have the deep pockets needed for such R&D! Ironically they decided to stop using cmos sensors! This is very like canon. They experiement with new technology from the consumer level, and if they like it move it up to pro levels. Just the opposite of most companies like Nikon who test out new technology on the pro end first, and if they like it, move it down to consumer level market.

Where I'm going with all this is simply that I doubt we will see any remarkable improvements on cmos technology from companies like Aiptek. Probably because of the expense it would require to R&D. And there really are not too many bigger companies playing much with it. Kodak plans on using the cmos sensor on lower end consumer products, so i don't think it will be a quantum leap from what we are seeing now.

I would love to know why Canon abandon the cmos project! Perhaps the cost of producing a superior cmos got too close to CCD? Any way this is a very interesting topic!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote