View Single Post
Old Mar 26, 2008, 9:02 AM   #10
JohnG

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
That iswhat I am interested in. Motivation to select equipment in regard of Pro and lifestyle. It may lead to the right choise for new amatures in their way towards Pro.

Terpentijn
It seems to me there is a confusion here. I think there is a built in assumption here that a person's lifestyle affects their professional equipment. I dont think that's accurate for the majority of professional shooters.

A pro selects the gear he/she needs to capture the photographs they require for their professional career.

That gear may be totally different than the gear they might decide to use in their personal life. For instance, many pros still use digicams in personal life because it is easy to carry them around. But that doesn't mean they use that digicam for their wedding, sports or PJ work.

I thiink it is a very small subset of pro shooters who are lucky enough that their pro work and their personal lifestyle are a perfect match. For the vast majority of others you may find they have one set of gear for their 'job' and another set for personal use.

In any event - pro or non pro - a person should buy gear according to the requirements at hand - be they personal or professional requirements. Determine what the requirements are first then find the gear that best matches. It is not unlike buying a car - each of us has requirements and desires when we buy a car so we seek out the car that best matches those requirements. Same is true at all levels of photography. A pro and a non-pro can absolutely end up with the same gear because their requirments are virtually the same. However, there are also many instances where non Pros must buy different gear simply due to cost and return on investment (i.e. they cant cost justify spending $7000 on a lens because its not putting food on their table - instead they need to have the car fixed and pay utilities).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote