Old Apr 8, 2008, 5:20 AM   #14
Trojansoc

Trojansoc wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi Paul,

Something similar happened with mine when I first got it. I'll be [email protected] if I can remember what lens it was, but after switching lenses and wiping all the contacts, it stopped, and now all my lenses have worked fine for about 3000 shots.
That's a good suggestion. I'll try it tomorrow. The guy I talked to at Pentax Tech Support was most worried about the fact that I had to remove the battery to reset it, too.

Paul
Scott,

Your suggestion may have just turned out to be the winner. As I thought about the question, there was another piece of evidence that would suggest a dust problem during manufacture. I checked the dust on the sensor just after getting the camera and it was filthy. A little work with the blower took care of it and I put it out of mind.

This morning, I cleaned the contacts on the front of the camera, and my alcohol pad literally came back gray. I also cleaned the contacts on a couple of lenses and tried them. Since then, I have not been able to make it fail again, including extended shots in continuous shooting modes.

No guarantee that it will continue to work, but things look good right now. Should this prove to be the fix, it might be something other K20D buyers need to be on the lookout for. I will update the results in a couple of days.

Paul
Promised update: I had one more instance of shutter stick on Saturday...reset it...and recleaned the contacts. Since then, everything has worked great through several hundred shots in all shooting modes. I'm going to hold onto the camera rather than ship it back for exchange. The proof should come tonight when I have a soccer doubleheader and expect to shoot nearly a thousand shots.

Paul

Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote