View Single Post
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:33 AM   #20
JimC
Administrator

All of the advanced amateur models we're discussing have some sealing.

But, it's not up to the standards you see in a pro level body (D2Hs, D3, etc.). Note that the Pentax K20D and Olympus E-3 mentioned have better weather sealing compared to the other new models in your price range that we've been discussing.

For example, you've got sealed buttons and switches on a model like the A700. But, it's not up the standards you have for a pro level body where you'd want to try and use a camera during a downpour without a rain cover on it. lol It's not really designed to be weatherproof.

Of course, YMMV, as I see this quote in the conclusion section of Field Test Article I mentioned:

Quote:
I even managed to test out the environmental sealing on the photo below getting the camera quite wet while shooting on a misty, foggy day.
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...%20-A700.shtml

But, I would not assume that it's OK to use it in tough conditions without taking precautions to keep it from getting wet. Also, most lenses are not weather sealed either.

As for CZ lenses, I don't own any of them (yet, anyway). These are lenses I have for use on a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700 (a.k.a., DSLR-A700): Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro; Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8; Tamron 28-105mm f/4-5.6, and Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4. All Autofocus (and all are stabilized on the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony DSLR-A700).

But, there are many lens choices available, and each one tends to be a compromise in one area or another (size, weight, focal range, optical quality, brightness, sharpness and contrast at various apertures and focal lengths, AF speed, cost and more. Here's a good source for lists of lenses compatible with Sony dSLR models. You can click on a lens to see more info about it with links to user reviews. Just keep in mind that newer models like the A700 have faster AF speed compared to the older models (KM Maxxum 5D, 7D, Sony Alpha 100) that most users were probably testing the lenses with.

Fixed Focal Length Lenses in Minolta A mount

Macro Lenses in Minolta A Mount

Zoom Lenses in Minolta A mount

As for stablization, it's built into the camera body with a Sony dSLR. So, any lens you use benefits. With Canon and Nikon, you need to buy stabilized lenses (Canon IS lenses or Nikkor VR lenses) if you want that feature. Most Pentax bodies like the K20D mentioned have stabilization built in now (so that any lens benefits). The same is true of most Olympus bodies now like the E-3 (built into the camera body so that you have it with any lens).

There are pros and cons to both types of systems.

I'd look at all of the options within your price range and try them out in a store to get a better feel from their differences.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote