View Single Post
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:44 PM   #10

Well guys. Just received an e-mail from Nikon Canada regarding the GP-1. I was right. It DOES geotag images as they are shot. No need for software to link the data to the images. Here is the reply I got from Nikon Canada:

Discussion Thread
Response (David D.) 01/07/2009 08:37 PM

Thanks for the question. It seems you were given some poor information. When connected to the camera the GP-1 feeds the GPS data to the camera where it is stored in the metadata for each image as they are shot. Thanks

Also, see this link from Samy's Camera...

This is from their website..."With the Nikon GP-1 GPS Unit, Geotags can be added to your images so you can record latitude, longitude, altitude and time information."

The older and more simplistic GPS receivers did and still do this. But I doubted that Nikon would design theirs not to auto geotag images as they are shot. Being that Nikon only released their GP-1 late last year. Which is actually is a bit late compared to the many other companies that have been around for a few years.

Why some manufacturers (e.g. ATP...memory card manufacturer) are still making units where you still do have to link the GPS data to each photo makes no sense at all today.

Guess, I'll be ordering a Nikon GP-1 afterall.

And for NHL....
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote