Thread: Post Processing
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:22 AM   #1
mtngal

There's always talk about post processing pictures and what you can and can't do. I thought this was an interesting comparison between before and after. If you aren't familiar with California geography, this picture probably doesn't look like all that much. However, it's interesting in a number of ways.

It was taken with the K20 and the A*300. The picture is pretty much full frame, since I can't seem to hold a camera straight, I had to rotate it a bit and lost some due to the rotation.

It's a picture of the Sierra Nevada mountains, I took it in January. You can see the snow on the tops of the Sierras, the snow level was pretty high. You can also see some detail on the mountainside below the snow level. The white at the bottom of the picture is fog - I took this picture while standing on the top of Mt. Pinos, the highest spot in Los Padres National Forest. The fog is covering the San Joaquin Valley - I'm looking across it to a range of mountains over 100 miles away!

I used the raw file, changed the exposure and tone curve, then converted to b&w in Lightroom. I then resized, changed the levels a bit more in Photoshop and added sharpening. I didn't mind the grainy look since I had converted to b&w.

Here's the untouched jpg file (well, I did rotate this one, too), all I did was resize it in CS4. I wanted to give some people an idea of how much difference a little post processing can make to a picture. I don't think I spent more than about 10 minutes playing with it. Besides, it shows just what an awesome lens the A*300 really is (it's still one of my two favorite lenses).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links