Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Add-On Lenses (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/add-lenses-49/)
-   -   B&H shipping to Canada (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/add-lenses-49/b-h-shipping-canada-73322/)

hitmanx Nov 27, 2005 10:01 PM

For those of you that are of the Canadian persuassion and have ordered products from B&H can you answer me a simple question:

Can I expect to pay many $$$ in duty charges for the products that I order? My bill will most likely be in the $200 - $300 range and I don't want to be stuck with astronomical duty charges... I'm pretty sure that they DON'T use UPS so that is good (lying, cheating, money grubbing bastards)... but Canadia n duty charges may be incurred regardless...

I'll be saving over $100 if order from B&H over Henry's Photo or any other camera shop that I know about... anyone have any suggestions on Canadian retailers that are on par with B&H?

ps - i know that was not a simple question... mine never are...

limeyg Nov 28, 2005 8:07 AM

I am not sure what type of product you are thinking of shipping from the US but you are certainly going to be charged the 15% sales tax plus some brokerage fees.
This is on top of the companies shipping fees.

I only buy from the US. as a last resort.
I have dealt with softmagic.ca out of Quebec a number of times, my last camera came from them and found them very good to deal with. Plus if you are in a different province there is no sales tax which has to be a bonus.

hitmanx Nov 28, 2005 8:23 AM

i'm wanting to pick up a UV, linear polarizer, nikon 4t close up lens and a hama lens hood for my new Pana FZ30... so all together i'm looking at about $200-$250 CAD... they quoted like $27 in shipping...

Thanks for the tip, but i'm not sure if they have what i need...

Nigel

nlp239 Jun 23, 2006 11:54 AM

If it's over C$50 you will definately be paying customs and excise no ifs or buts unless you're a business and can get it back.

If angers me but thems the breaks.

polar905 Jun 25, 2006 10:43 PM

I have found it hit and miss with the duties. For my TCON-17, I paid no duty. For my Bogen 488RC4, I got dinged, but I did choose rush shipping so maybe that is why, they figured I "really" needed it.

pagerboy Jun 25, 2006 11:06 PM

I ordered a tonneau cover from the states and you have to pay duty, gst and brokerage fees(tax from that state also?). It may be cheaper to get it here depending. I had to pay since no one sold my cover here but if the camera parts you need are sold here?

PeterP Jun 26, 2006 9:14 AM

You will get nailed for GST, PST, brokerage and shipping.
On my last big order from the US I had to fork over 700$ cash to the UPS man when my studio lights came in.

BTW I think UPS has about the highest brokerage fee I have ever seen!
Won't be using them again any time soon to cross the border.

JKA Jun 26, 2006 9:17 AM

You will have to pay GST for theitem order plus Canada Custom Service charge (6-7 dollars). It is not much at all.

It is cheaper to order multiple items from B&H. They only charge shipping for the first item and you will be saving on the Canada Custom Service Charge. The srvice charge is per order not by item.

I hope this will help.

Good luck!

jimwho? Jun 26, 2006 12:18 PM

Digital Cameras and Lenses are duty free. Check out this site:

http://www.aacb.com/tools/dutytax.asp it will give you an idea of costs. I just purchased a Nikon D50 from Camereta and it was sent USPS $52 US delivered in 3 days.

Canada Post charged me duty (error) but there is a form on the back where you can apply for a refund.

It is important that the documentation on the package is clear as to contents to determine if dutiable. I confirmed with Customs that I should not have been charged Duty. CP charged me $8 CAD service fee.

Dispoable cameras on the other hand are subject to duty.

I saved $200 CAD after shipping and GST and PST.

jimwho? Jun 26, 2006 12:18 PM

Claim a refund.