Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 27, 2003, 10:33 PM   #1

Default CrystalVue 8X and Kenko 6X Combo (48X) Tests

Hi All,

I just put up a page on the tests of CrystalVue SharperShooter 8X and Kenko 6X (48X) combo. It is in the "Odd Stuff" section of my Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/4500 user guide. Your comments are most welcome.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2003, 10:33 AM   #2

I visited your site and found it to be exceptional. I especially enjoyed the information re Lenses.

All of your information seems to center on Nikon. Would these studies have equal application to Sony? DSC S75
pjallittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 5:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjallittle
All of your information seems to center on Nikon. Would these studies have equal application to Sony? DSC S75
I do not own a Sony DSC S75 and cannot answer your question accurately. In general, if your S75 has a ring for mounting filters, you will be able to use these monoscopes. It unlikely that you could use the Kenko 6X because its thread size is 28mm and specially made for Nikon's Coolpix 950/990/995/4500. If your camera can use 37mm filters, it is likely that you will be able to use the CrystalVue 8X, Kenko 832 8X or Kenko 820 8X. If you don't mind lower image quality, you can even mount an extra 2X teleconverter in front of the 8X scope. On thing you might want to avoid, IMHO, is the Kenko 5X. Its quality is too low for high resolution digital cameras and vignetting is likely due to its optical design. I am not sure if I have answered your questions. But, I certainly I hope I did.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2003, 6:25 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The Sony uses a step up adapter which allows one to use 52mm threading. The basic lens appears to be 42mm where the adapter threads in.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2001_...s/s75_pg2.html

Based on what very little I know about the subject, it appears that there is plenty of room for light, given these dimension. I guess the best way to find out is to take the plunge. Sony offers a 1.7 Tel. and a wide angle lens as well.

I think you answered the questions quite well.
pjallittle is offline   Reply With Quote