Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 13, 2006, 3:28 PM   #1

Just discovered this forum, and hope that you can help. I have the Sony DSC H5 camera, and just boughtSony'sVCL-DH1758 teleconverter lens (for bird pictures). I am using Sony's adapter. to connect the lens to the camera Is there any way to attach a polarizing filter to this setup, and if so, how? (Obviously not to the front of the teleconverter lens). Thank you.
ratmom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:16 PM   #2

If your polariser has front threads then no problem

Camera-adapter-PL-Tcon

As you turn the tcon the PL turns as well.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Thanks, but I had already tried that before I posted. Put adapter on front of camera, and then polarizing filter (Tiffen) screwed neatly into front of adapter, but T-Con lens didn't seem to have enough threads to screw securely into the filter.Lucky for me I didn't trust it, because the first time I tried to take a picture with that setup, the lens came off (in my hand).:sad: Any other ideas?

Ratmom
ratmom123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:55 PM   #4

Umm, bad luck, you must have bought a slim line PL.

Actually I had the same experience when using my slim line CPL , just enough threads to mount a filter in front, not enough to hold a tcon. had to swap it out for an older full size linear polariser and that had deep enough threads to hold the 1758 securely.

You might be able to find a good linear pl with deeper threads cheaply on ebay, got mine for less than £15 ( $28 )
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:29 PM   #5

Just tried placing the polarizer between the barrel adaptor and sony tele lens myself and it looks to work. My only concern is about hanging that near 9 ounce tele lens off of the polarizing filter. Anyone have any thoughts about how much perpindicular torque a Tiffen circular polarizer can handle. If and when I use this config in the field, I'm gonna be really careful to keep one hand on thetele lens as well as the camera. Still, I'd rather not wreck my polarizer even if I don't trash my tele lens in the process.Am I being paranoid?
JBerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:29 PM   #6

This is exactly the same question I would like answered. I'm doing the same thing

JBerel wrote:
Quote:
Just tried placing the polarizer between the barrel adaptor and sony tele lens myself and it looks to work. My only concern is about hanging that near 9 ounce tele lens off of the polarizing filter. Anyone have any thoughts about how much perpindicular torque a Tiffen circular polarizer can handle. If and when I use this config in the field, I'm gonna be really careful to keep one hand on thetele lens as well as the camera. Still, I'd rather not wreck my polarizer even if I don't trash my tele lens in the process.Am I being paranoid?
Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 6:44 PM   #7

I contacted "HOYA" and received an email that I posted on DL, I sincerely think you should read it!!
changeling

Old Oct 30, 2006, 8:40 PM   #8

DL ??
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:45 PM   #9

dcresource.com

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
DL ??