Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:35 AM   #1

The TCON 17F typically costs quite a bit less than the 17.

The 17 has a 55mm filter thread mount and the 17F has a filter 34mm thread mount according to Olympus.

Are the optics the same? I can easily adapt either lens to my existing 55mm filter holder.

Dave

newarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2006, 9:17 AM   #2

The TCON 17 has a lot more glass at the business end than the TCON 17F - I have the 17 and that is one big piece of glass. I would suspect that if you could mount the 17F on your camera you would see vignetting at a much higher zoom setting than with the 17. That is, you would have a very small range of zoom using the 17F. If your camera has a 55mm thread mount I would definitely go with the 17 (Oly Part Number 200862) even though it is a bit more expensive.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 4:43 AM   #3

on30trainman wrote:
Quote:
The TCON 17 has a lot more glass at the business end than the TCON 17F - I have the 17 and that is one big piece of glass. I would suspect that if you could mount the 17F on your camera you would see vignetting at a much higher zoom setting than with the 17. That is, you would have a very small range of zoom using the 17F. If your camera has a 55mm thread mount I would definitely go with the 17 (Oly Part Number 200862) even though it is a bit more expensive.

Steve W.
Agree with Steve, and want to add: TCON17 (or the older B300) was designed to use on SLR lens as front attachment. Not even they do not diminish the effective aperture size (aka. light gathering power) very often I found that the whole combination is apparently brighter than without TCON17 attached!
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote