Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 17, 2006, 2:18 PM   #1

I've been routinely using a UV filter to protect my FZ30's lens because I've never been immune from stupid behavior.

I've just purchased a TCON-17 for birding use with the FZ30 & worry about protecting the big lens. I expect I'll use the lens a lot because I lack mobility.

It looks like it wouldn't be hard or costly to add a 77x82mm filter ring & good 82mm UV filter to the lens (its big end is reported to be 78mm ID.)

I haven't had a lot of experience with big-glass lenses but am sure I'd be pretty unhappy with a scratched lens.

What do you think? Would you prefer having an 82mm filter ring on your TCON-17 compared to no ring at all?

Dave
newarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2006, 8:01 PM   #2

Dave, I have the same feeling that you do - that I would like to mount a filter on the lens. The approach I was thinking about is a little different than yours. I took my lens to a local camera shop and asked to see a 77mm UV filter. As you know the TCON-17 doesn't have any threads on the big end. The 77mm filter would not fit easily into the lens - I didn't want to try and force it on and mess up a filter and have to buy something that I thought was too expensive for the quality - it was close but just slightly larger. I really don't want to use a 77mm to 82mm stepup ring - the 82mm filter is real big and more expensive. I have two thoughts about how to go:

1. Buy a good 77mm UV filter and slightly file down the threads until it fits in the end of the lens and use a little super glue or epoxy to hold it in. This permanently puts the filter on.

2. Buy a good 77mm UV filter and buy either a real cheap 77mm filter or find a broken 77mm filter somewhere. Remove the glass and mount/fit the filter housing into the TCON - just make sure the filter housing has two sets of threads. This would work as a 77mm male to 77mm female adapter - that type of ring is not commercially available as far as I know. The 77mm good UV filter would then mount into the ring.

I am tending to #2 since I would be able to remove the filter if needed, such as if it got scratched and needed replaced. I asked the same/similar question you have on the Kodak forum here since quite a few Kodak users have the TCON-17. The most common answer I got was that they don't bother with protecting the lens - just try to be careful. One mentioned that he read about someone epoxying a filter onto the end - similar to what I said in #1. I am feeling like you - protect it from some stupid happening. Let me know what you finally do.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2006, 5:00 AM   #3

Steve,

I've ordered a 77mm x 82mm step-up ring & 82mm uv filter (inexpensive - $11 "Sonia" - I hope it doesn't distort the image).

I was afraid of vignetting if I stacked 77mm ring + filter on the lens. I hope the 82mm isn't too big. It is about the same diameter as the rubber lens hood I'm using so should be ok.

I'll glue the 77mm ring to the end of the TCON-17. If the Sonia filter turns out to cause any distortion I'll buy a Hoya - about $35.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Dave

Old Sep 28, 2006, 1:32 AM   #4

I would suggest a 77mm metal hood instead. Just like a 77mm filter it fits very well and more, it is much needed than an extra UV filter for a tele converting lens.
orion999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:31 PM   #5

Dave,
Wondering if you got your parts to protect the TCON? I ordered and just got a 77mm HOYA UV filter and a 77mm rubber hood plus a cheap ($5) 77mm filter that the fellow had. Took the glass out of the cheap filter and screwed the housing into the TCON - it fit in quite well without having to mess with the threads. The TCON housing is apparently made of a hard plastic which allowed the filter housing to screw in. Doesn't look like I will even have to glue the housing in - it is a nice tight fit and the UV filter and lens hood have little weight.

orion999 - Even with a lens hood I want a filter to protect the business end of the TCON. A good multi-coated UV filter should be a plus. Decided on the rubber hood since it folds up, taking up less room in storage.

Steve W.
on30trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2006, 1:42 AM   #6

A 77mm x 82mm step-up ring plus an 82mm UV filter worked well for my tcon-17.

The step-up ring screwed tightly into the tcon-17; glue was not necessary. I believe I'll add a rubber hood as well.

Notes of possible interest: I tried a 55mm polarizer between the camera's lens and the tcon-17; it works well!

Also, it doesn't seem to matter if I remove a 55mm UV filter from between the camera lens and the tcon-17.

Dave