Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Sep 25, 2006, 5:34 AM   #1

I was considering getting the standard canon lens converter and tc but stumbled across raynox

the raynox is 2.2x so gives more zoom but how does quality compare with the canon tc

any opinions of users who have these lenses would be appreciated

thanks
Sibling Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2006, 8:04 AM   #2

So I found lensmateonline.com! very useful!

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2tele.html

Their sample images would suggest that the raynox although provding that extra power (focal length) is not that great and has focus issues in teh corners of the picture...so back to canon

lensmate would also suggest that the canon 52mm 1.6x teleconverter (tc-dc52b)is better than the 58mm 1.5x teleconverter (tc-dc58b) in that it has a larger focal length and vignetting only starts to occur at a larger focal length also

the tc-dc52b is also cheaper and the lens converter is cheaper...why would canon therefore bother with the tc-dc58b for the s3?

any comments appreciated

also what advantages do the lenmatelens converters have over the canon LAH-DC10/20

thanks!

Old Sep 26, 2006, 5:02 PM   #3

surely someone has some comment?......
Old Sep 27, 2006, 11:45 AM   #4

hi Chris
ok short 101
converter allows for zoom cabability
adapter does not

usually identified by power [.8x, .66x, 1.7x etc]
.8 is wide angle, and is 80% of the 35mm equivalent lens
1.7x is telephoto and is 170% of the 35mm lens power

i have had canon wide converters
they are a rather cheap plastic glass
that siad they work ok, i imagine tele is something the same

raynox offer test shots of their gear, a great advantage
check them out, download them, examine them closely
look for sharpness
look for chromations like purple outlines, heavy is not acceptable
look for alterations in the form of curved lines that used to be straight, as in the original provided

cant help you with lensmate, if they offer samples, its not hard to evaluate

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:09 PM   #5

thanks for the reply

sorry yeah, I get the adapter v. converter thing and realise the language in my post was confused! :?

interesting you mention raynox....although lensmate sell the 1540 (1.54x) tele converter they explicitly say they do not recommend the 2.2x version due to soft focus issues at corners of images.

the url i posted has sample images to compare

lensmate themselevs produce lens adapters not wide-angle or tele converter lenses. I;ve read nothing but postive things abotu them and they appear to be far more robust than the canon equivalent.

having looked at things again it seems to me like image quality will be better in the canon lens designed specifically for the s2/s3...but maybe I need to do some further investigation!...

Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:18 PM   #6

btw looked at the raynox site and sample images but not sure how much to rely upon them

obviously they want their lends to look good, they aren't goign to highlight any vignetting or purple fringing and the like.

becasue of the nature of th eimages they have I think it a bit difficult to evaluate. I have read one person on these forums saying the raynox is great but remarks on lensmate (considering how much positive feddback they get from others) makes me concerned

thanks again

chris
Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:31 PM   #7

yes always operate from the standpoint that someone is trying to trick you, but in balance most of them are fair.

and while not saying they are: and for instance the lensmate site says

"We've had few sunny days here since the camera arrived, so these are the best images available at this time. Haze, backlight, and heat distortion are present here, butwe will post better images as soon asthe weather allows."

page info reveals that it was modified last on: Sunday, 10 September 2006 6:11:38 AM

must be hellish weather out there, and anyway easy fixed, just use a target somewhat closer

as for raynox images, i have seen images from the 6600 (.66x) and can attest that they acurately represent the lens, with a green tinge and a tad soft, all the same a good effort for a very deep .66x and 'reasonably' distortion free

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:57 PM   #8

I've bought several things from Lensmate and find them to be a very positive experience. Their lens adapter is aluminum and well made (I'm new to photography, but know a few things about metal). I believe the Canon adapter is plastic.

Their clip on lens cap is definitely superior to the friction fit cap that came with the camera(S2).

I'm too new at this to comment on lens quality, but the lensmate site taught me a number of things (such as vignetting) about image and lens quality.
artworksmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 2:51 PM   #9

artworksmetal......do you use any add-on lenses with the lensmate adapter or is it just to protect the camera lens?

I think I'm pretty much sold on getting an adapter from lensmate and I want to get a teleconverter also, just not sure which......it would be nice to find some independent reviews of the options on this front for the s2/s3 but haven't spotted any yet
Old Sep 29, 2006, 8:15 AM   #10

I use the adapter all of the time with at least a UV or skylight filter. I've bought a few other filters as well, but haven't had time to experiment with them. I also bought the HOYA Macro filters, an inexpensive way to get up close and personal. I've attached part of a photo I took using just the 2X macro lens.

I' m probably going to go for the Raynox 1540 Teleconverter lens, unlessI can findsomeone that has posted actual results fromusing one of these 3xlenses that are out there.

If you go with the Lensmateadapter, I recommend springing for 2. You'll like being able toswitch quickly between 2 sets of lenses or filters.
Attached Images

artworksmetal is offline   Reply With Quote