Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2006, 6:52 AM   #1

Some one told me that a Linear Polarizer was ok for my S9500. But i have been told it isn't and that i should of bought the Circular Linear Polarizer is this correct??

Iv'e taken Some trial pictures but am not happy with the result and the picture always seems like there was grit on the lens(There isn't) !!!

Any suggestions??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2

A linear should work fine, they generally only have problems due to the focusing system used by dslrs, and the S9500 is not a dslr.

What actually are you using the PL for ?

It does act rather like a ND filter in that it robs a stop or two of light , so make sure the ISO is not being raised too high to compensate, though the S9500 seems to be excellent out to ISO 400 then dropping off at 800 and 1600.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 5:30 AM   #3

I haven't really decided yet what to take pictures of as iv'e only just got into photography.

So your saying that iso 400 is the best for my camera??
wrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2006, 7:51 AM   #4

No, the lowest ISO you have is always the best.

As you increase ISO it makes the camera more sensitive to light but introduces noise into the image.

You can use noise reduction programs to remove some, but it is best to have as little as possible to start with.

Your camera has ISO settings-> ISO 80,100,200,400,800,1600

According to the review at dpreview.com, noise is excellent up to ISO 400, is usable at 800 and 1600 is generally out unless there is no other way to get the shot..

You have to balance the noise versus the shutter speed ie isnoise in the image (higher iso) better than using a lower iso and having potential blurr due to camera shake.

Lets say for example you are shooting at maximum telephoto 300mm, so to avoid camera shake (assuming you are shooting handheld..) you will want a shutter speed around 1/300s or faster.

Lets say its quite dark, the aperture is open to the max it can go at full tele, and you are using iso 100, and still the shutter speedis only 1/30s

ISO 200 gives you a shutter speed of 1/60s, ISo 400 1/120s

ISO 800 would give you 1/240s shutter speed but introduces quite a bit of noise, so the picture may only be useable for smaller prints, plus you may have a little hand shake blurr.

Do you accept that ?

Or try for ISO 1600 ... which will introduce a lot of noise and perhaps ruin the picture totally.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote