Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 15, 2003, 5:26 AM   #1

Default Lenses for Kodaks

Hi All,

You may notice me posting all over the forums on various Kodak related subjects. I'm in the position to purchase a decent camera and now i'm making sure i'm going about it the right way.

Kodak DX6340 Camera has an optionally accessory which is http://tinyurl.com/ecoi <-- There.

It is basically a lens adapter to allow you to use 37mm lenses or filters.

I'm just wondering how well this works? I've seen ( linked at Steve's? ) up to 10x lenses with 37mm threading.. Would these work, or only certain lenses?

Also.. The camera itself has a 4x Optical lens Say I added one of these 10x lenses, would that make it 14x or 40x?

Thanks for helping out a newbie.
p.s. If this should be in the newbie section, please let me know and I'll repost it.

Ta,
PW
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:17 AM   #2

Default Re: Lenses for Kodaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatinumWeaver
It is basically a lens adapter to allow you to use 37mm lenses or filters.
The 37mm thread size is perhaps one of the most popular one. You will be able to find many 37mm thread wide angle, telephoto and monoscope type lenses.

Quote:
I'm just wondering how well this works? I've seen ( linked at Steve's? ) up to 10x lenses with 37mm threading.. Would these work, or only certain lenses?
There are pros and cons of using an adapter. Some converters are very picky and require a very strict spacing between the camera lens and the mounted converter. Fortunately, most converters are designed for generic use, which means these converters can be used with virtually any camera. On the other hand, because they are generic, they do not match the strict optical requirement of a particular camera lens, some problems may occur (e.g., vignetting, less than the claimed magnification, etc). There are many reasonable 37mm wide angle lenses available. For telephoto converters, try the Tiffen MegaPlus 2X first. Many low cost ones do not provide exactly 2X magnification. Some can only reach about 1.5X. Higher than 2X, you could find 3X and higher magnification monoscopes such as EagleEye 5X, Kenko 8X and CrystalVue 8X. They should work fine with 37mm thread.

Quote:
Also.. The camera itself has a 4x Optical lens Say I added one of these 10x lenses, would that make it 14x or 40x?
If your camera has 4X zoom and the add-on lens has 8X power, the result system will have a power of 4*8=32X. The longest focal length is the product of the resulting power and the longest focal length of the on-camera lens. To the best of my knowledge, 8X monoscope type converters are the most popular ones. Higher than 8X, image quality is getting worse or will be difficult to use. My Nikon Coolpix 4500 page has some evaluation of the following lenses: CrystalVue 8X, Kenko KUT-832 8X and a Russian made 14X reflector. Check the "Odd Stuffs" section near the bottom of the 4500 user guide page for more details.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 user guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 6:25 AM   #3

Shene! Thank you!

I did of course mean 8x lenses, not 10x.. haven't seen any of them... So what i've learnt today is that lenses will work with the camera. My mileage may vary, but that happens with anything...

Obviously with a longer/stronger lens, any movement of my hand becomes more pronounced, so I'd look at a tripod as well...

Now.. the light-sensor of the DX6340 is just to the right of the lens.. will having a much longer lens affect this sensor? And will there be enough light under normal circumstances?

Thank you so much for your help so far.

PS

p.s. Also.. the weight of lenses.. there is no danger of damaging cameras with these is there? Other than crossthreading?

p.p.s. The adapter I was looking at would be a Kodak adapter specific to the camera, this would eliminate most likelyhood of problems with compatibility, yes?
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote