Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jun 20, 2003, 8:47 PM   #1

Default how do I use these lenses??

Hi all,

I am a total newbie, and I need to ask a silly question...

I just got a Canon G3 digital camera, a wide-angle lens, a telephoto zoom lens, and a lens adapter as a gift.

When I attach the add on lenses, I can't see a difference. For example, I can't zoom any more with the telephoto lens as I can with the original lens.

Am I missing something? I thought that if I attach the zoom lens, I would be able to see a noticeable difference in the viewfinder or lcd screen.

The lenses are from Digital Optics. The wide angle lens is a 0.45xxx wide angle lens.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Hammy
hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2003, 2:36 AM   #2

Hi,

If you connect everything correctly you should have less wideangle and more zoom with the telephoto lens.

However all is shifted so you will not have MORE zoom.

Take a picture of an object in the distance at maximum zoom, now add the telephoto lens and take the same picture at maximum zoom if all works this last photo would be closer.

Don't expect miracles if your camera has only 3x Zoom and the telephoto lens is a 1.54x this will only make your camera a roughly 4.5x zoom camera.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2003, 2:21 AM   #3

Frank, I'm glad you answered that question, because I have been wondering whether the zoom and wide angle lens' for the Canon Powershots were worth buying.

I'm feeling less inclined to get the lens now.
JanetKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 11:10 AM   #4

Hi yall

So I'll take this opportunity to ask: when you use a telephoto lens, how do you calculate the final zoom value? Do you add the zoom values or multiply them?

For instance:
camera = 3x
telephoto = 2.4x (Canon TC-DC52)

Final zoom = 3 * 2.4 = 7.2x or 3 + 2.4 = 5.4x????

Cheers.

Paulo
psargaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 12:38 PM   #5

You multiply it. A canon a70 is 35mm-105mm equivalent (3x zoom). If you use a 2.4x teleconverter you get 84mm-252mm (I assume you have an a70/a60 because of the 3x zoom and the teleconverter you mentioned). Sometimes cheaper lenses like the digital optics mentioned play a numbers game on how the lens is rated. That 2x lens may be as little as 1.6x real magnification. Like Frank said, don't expect miricles from a low power lens.
the canon tc-dc52 should give decent results though.
Here are sample pics of the tc-dc52 on a canon a40 (same 35mm equivalent of the a70/60/40/30 etc.).These are not mine by the way, they are someone elses shots.
http://www.pbase.com/jamiewillmott/tcdc52_test
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:38 PM   #6

Also, here are two pics, the first being the a70 at 3x zoom, the second being the a70 at 3x zoom with a 2x teleconverter. This was a farilly expensive lens so I would hope that it is actually 2x. The shots were just quick snapshoots though, so they are just to show the amount of magnification, not pic quality.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/pheonix_2x
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 1:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardh
You multiply it. A canon a70 is 35mm-105mm equivalent (3x zoom). If you use a 2.4x teleconverter you get 84mm-252mm (I assume you have an a70/a60 because of the 3x zoom and the teleconverter you mentioned).
Actualy I don't have a digicam yet. I was originally thinking of buying the new Minolta Z1 with a 10x zoom (still waiting for some reviews and for it to enter the market), but then a read a really good review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona70/ on the Canon A70 and also saw the teleconverter. So I'm pondering (is this an english word ops: ) one over the other because the Z1 is bigger and bulkier.

Thanks for the link.

Paulo[/url]
psargaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2003, 2:21 PM   #8

Default Hold on - are we dealing with LCD, Viewfinder or EVF?

I can't remember whether the G3 has an EVF or viewfinder - but if it's a viewfinder :-)

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote