Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Dec 16, 2006, 7:33 AM   #1

I was at my local camera shop and since there was a 25% off sale on Promaster filter lenses I thought it would be an opportune time to buy a polarizer for my Panasonic FZ7. They were out of linear type but did have circular polarizers for $29.00 before sale discount. Then I noticed they had "Digital Circular Polarizers" however the price before sale discount was $119.00 for these.:?

Are these "digital" polarizers worth the extra money, or will the circular or lineartype work just fine?
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:09 AM   #2

If the $30 filter is a lower grade filter and the $120 one is a good brand's top filter there would be a quality difference. But linear and circular are the only two kinds of polarizer I know of. The "digital" designation would just be one brand's designation and not an indicator of utility.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:15 AM   #3

All the same brand. "Promaster". Sales person says Hoya makes them for Promaster. When I look at the Promaster web site the hoopla for the new Digital series seems pretty high compared to the past standard? Is it all just up-selling?
Camp I am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2006, 9:40 AM   #4

You will get no more polarizing effect with the digital version. What you will likely get is a higher quality lens and coating. If it is the same brand filter I would think there would be a quality difference.

There is no such thing as a "digital polarizer". It is a brand's name like Caprice or Raptor. There is no special quality you can add to a polarizer that makes it more appropriate for digital cameras.

Whether you want to pay more for the top of the line is up to you. I would go with the thirty buck version and return it if I could see quality defects in normal use.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote