Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:11 AM   #1

Default eagleeye 5x optic zoom lens

has anyone tried using the eagleeye 5x optic zoom lens with any of the c-xxxx series?? and if so what is your opinion of it
chef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2002, 3:26 AM   #2

Default Eagle Eye 5x

I have an Eagle Eye 5x that I have used with a C2000 and C4040.
I have gotten mixed results but then I am an amatuer so my results and judgement of quality may not be great.
Camera must be fully zoomed and at its lowest F stop on both to avoid vignetting.
On the C2000 I have to set the camera on macro focus to get the AF to work. I do not need to do so on the 4040.
Light, focusing, and a tripod seem to be the keys to good pictures with the lens. Unfortunately focusing is difficult.
The lens is not a fixed focus and has a spiral focus. Focus must be done through the LCD. Depending on the scene (landscape or action) and the light (ambient and scene) that can be easy to impossible.
The lens seems quite bright to me, and I have not noticed any discolor. Even in low light, indoor non flash settings, on a tripod I have gotten good results.
I have used it at arena and sports events and have gotten good and bad pictures. I have also used it at dance competition and gotten good results.
Even with my best pictures there is some loss in quality at the edges.
AZRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2002, 12:01 AM   #3

thanks azray for the qiuck response to my question..
chef1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2002, 3:46 PM   #4

I also use the OpticZoom with my C2000Z and with numerous other digicams.

I find it works well with the C2000Z - here's a shot taken several years ago with that combination:

Lin

[Edited on 8-18-2002 by Lin Evans]

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 12:59 PM   #5

I have an Olympus 2020z that I use the Eagle Eye Optical 5x lense with. It does vignette, can be hard to focus (camera and lcd fault, not the lense's) but it does enable you to get shots you couldn't get elsewhys.

I've enclosed a sample shot of sailboats in Newport, Rhode Island harbour that I shot from another boat. Not the best shooting conditions. Note the vignetting, but still a neat picture.

Bennett
blandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 1:10 PM   #6

here's the picture

[img] http://4dw.net/blandsman/trips/
rhodeislandjuly2002/newport/boats/
images/
sailingships.jpg[/img]

[Edited on 8-19-2002 by blandsman]
blandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2002, 1:50 PM   #7

Default It doesn't seem to be working for some reason....

I'll post it here for you:

[Edited on 8-22-2002 by Lin Evans]
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:16 PM   #8

Default Just bought an Opticzoom

I have just spent an afternoon trying out various lens combinations on my Canon Powershot Pro90IS (similar to Olympus 2100) and also on a Nikon 995 (I also have one of these although it is currently in for repair).

I first tried the Eagleeye Opticzoom with a Nikon 995. I must say that I was VERY impressed. Not only is there NO vignetting at full telephoto, you can also zoom back to about half zoom or maybe more on the 995 before getting any vignetting, due to the small 28mm lens on the 995 compared with the larger diameter of the Opticzoom.

I took several handheld shots at full telephoto. The 995 has 4X zoom so with the Opticzoom 5X zoom that is 20X zoom. Amazingly I was able to take handheld photos at 20X zoom. Only a small percentage of the photos I took came out blurred. You need to put the camera into macro mode and work with the largest aperture possible in order to minimise your shutter speed (fairly obvious really).

I then tried the 995 with an Opticzoom and an Olympus B300 - yes, both on the end of the 995! That gave me 34X zoom. As you may expect I had a much larger percentage of the photos come out blurred - this is moving into serious zoom territory and definitely needs a tripod.

Then on to the PRO90. the Opticzoom did not work well with the PRO90 at all, due to the step down that you need from the 58mm lens of the PRO90 to the smaller diameter of the Opticzoom, causing some major vignetting even at full telephoto. But then again who needs 50X zoom!!

I then tried the B300 with the PRO90. This was much better. The resulting 17X zoom gave very sharp pictures, the only drawback being some slight chromatic abberation in the usual places, but not as bad as alot I have seen.

I have now bought an Eagleeye for use with my 995, I was so impressed. I thinking of selling my 995 but I have changed my mind!!

The results of my investigation have caused me to wonder why I need a Pro90 with image stabilisation. Clearly with low light have IS can be an advantage but even the expert I was with earlier, who could have tried to sell me a B300 (which are brilliant I must admit) suggested I did not need the Pro90. Anyone any thoughts on this, perhaps I am basking in the success of my test and have forgotten how good the PRO90/Olympus 2100 cameras really are !

Kevin
UK

Olympus 3000Zoom, Nikon 995, Canon Powershot PRO90IS, EagleEye OpticZoom
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:48 PM   #9

You've discovered the "secret" of the small lens Nikons - that they work really well with most telephoto adapters as well as with a wide variety of spotting scopes as digiscope tools.

Several years ago I beta tested the first OpticZoom 5x with the CP950, CP990 and C2000Z. It's a phenomenal match with the entire Nikon series. As you discovered, it's quite easy to hang a B-300 1.7x on the end of the OpticZoom and get some incredible shots. With the CP990 it puts you out to 977.5mm and with the 4X native cameras (CP995 and CP4500) you are well over 1300 mm with the CP4500 (native 155mm) and around 1275 with the 995. All with excellent results. Even better results can be had with any good spotting scope and these cameras. I routinely shoot at 6000mm.

As you discovered, the need for a good tripod or beanbag type support comes when you add the B-300 to the Eagle Eye, but you can definitely hand hold with even reasonable light with the 20X.

This is not to take anything away from the C2100UZ or Pro-90. The stabilized 10X with a B-300 on the end gets you 646mm of stabilized use for nearly any purpose including some sports. Though you can't equal the performance at the longer focal lengths that you get from the Nikon - you do get excellent low light capabilities with the Canon 10X lens, whether on the Pro-90 or the UZI (C2100UZ).

Lin