Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:10 PM   #1

Hi,

I am newbie in photgraphy. I was looking for a difference between color subtraction filter and normal filters like yellow or red or green filter.

I have attached a photobelow. I am not sure whether it was taken by yellow filteror by some different filter.

Any reply with photos would be great.

Thank you

Attached Images

playpool1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:16 PM   #2

The attached photo was done with image editing software like Photoshop. Everything except the bracelets had the colour removed to highlight the jewelry.

Red, yellow and green filters are only used with black and white film to change the rendering of various colours in the final image. Other colour filters are used to adjust the light to the type of colour film being used. With digital photography these effects are now done in the camera or post processing so don't require these filters.

Unless you are trying for a special effect the only filters normally used on digital cameras are UV for physical protection of the lens, polarizers, neutral density, and graduated neutral density filters.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:22 PM   #3

thanks for the reply.

By the way what does the netural density filters do?

playpool1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2007, 8:13 PM   #4

Neutral density filters are used to allow slower shutter speeds or more open apertures than would be required for the ambient light. You may not be able to reduce the ISO, aperture or shutter speed enough to achive what you want.

Examples:
1 - Shooting rapids or waterfalls with a slow shutter speed give a silky look to the water.
2 - You may want shallow depth of field for an outdoors portrait.

Graduated ND filters go from dark to light from one edge to the opposite. They would be used to reduce the light from the sky without affecting the balance of the scene.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote