Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:47 PM   #1

Owners of the Olympus TCON-17 tele-accesory lens occasionally lose or misplace the important lens cap that is essential to protect the very large vulnerable front lens. Coincidentally, there is a readily available substitute cap that is disposable but actually fits more securely than the standard cap. The bright yellow, highly visible, plastic cap of the tubular Lays "STAX" potato chip package has the 80mm (3 1/8") diameter that is an ideal grip-fit to the lens barrel. It is readily available from any grocery or quick stop store so is even available when in the field. Moreover, the cap comes with snack food as a side benefit.

Also, spare SD, xD, or other small digital memory cards need to be protected when not in the camera. With simple modification, the colorful small plastic case of the commonplace Listerine" Pocket Pak Breath Leaves" provides a secure, transparent, visible, and very compact storage container that is much smaller than the plastic cases in which memory cards are sold. Again, there is an oral hygenic side benefit.
Daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:43 AM   #2

Thanks!

I lost mine too. I had a little trouble finding the Lays Stax brand, but once I did, it works great. It doesn't slip on real easily, but it is much more secure than the original from Olympus.

I also needed a replacement for the rear cap. I got a 55mm - 58mm step ring and glued a standard rear lens cap to it. Now, I use that assembly as a screw on rear cap for the TCON.

I don't understand why Olympus can't manage to make decent caps for this otherwise nice piece of glass.
orlinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:43 AM   #3

Thanks!

I lost mine too. I had a little trouble finding the Lays Stax brand, but once I did, it works great. It doesn't slip on real easily, but it is much more secure than the original from Olympus.

I also needed a replacement for the rear cap. I got a 55mm - 58mm step ring and glued a standard rear lens cap to it. Now, I use that assembly as a screw on rear cap for the TCON.

I don't understand why Olympus can't manage to make decent caps for this otherwise nice piece of glass.
orlinsky is offline   Reply With Quote