Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:25 PM   #1

the edges of the raynox's lense appear in my photos when unzoomed, and I was wondering if you had to have the camera zoomed to be able to shoot with this lense so the edges wouldnt be visible. I'm using the stock 52-55mm adapter for the panasonic FZ5. It seems like if the lense screwed into the universal adapter that it came with a little more itd be fine, but this is what it looks like (unzoomed):

i hope I can get a good answer to help other people with a similar question to prevent the making of future identical threads.

Thanks ahead of time!
xfxgeforced is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2007, 9:36 PM   #2

the edges disappear at about 3x zoom, so i should be able to deal with it, but is there any other lens adapter that i could get besides the stock fz5 one that might be shorter or something, to fix the problem so i could have a clear shot with zero zoom?

*anyone else think its kind of dumb to not have a manual focus feature with the fz5? the AF is a pain with macros

**im starting to have fun with this, I figured out i could just manually make it focus by focusing as close as i could, then pulling the camera back or pushing it forwards to make it focus :lol: cant wait to get a good bright day and try some hand-held shots.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 8:02 AM   #3

Dont know if you maybe sorted it out yourself or not, but its supposed to be like that.
The macro-lens is supposed to be used with lots of tele, the more tele the more closeup you get. You dont shoot wide with it at all.
From what I've understood you use the camera from a fixed distance with a macro-lens like this, you cant be 5cm away, you cant be 30cm away, you have to be around 12cm, and to control magnification you use the zoom between like 5x and 12x (at wider settings the vignetting is showing).

So no, there is nothing wrong with your setup, its not supposed to "work" at wide.

Please post some cool samples later on when you've got used to it
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:01 AM   #4

By the way, I guess your camera goes from 36mm to 432mm or so (35mm equivalent)?
Could you maybe check, focusing on a ruler or something, how close you can get by seeing the width on the ruler, both at full tele and zoomed out to just before vignetting shows up.

I guess it captures around 1cm wide, and maybe somewhere between 2-3cm wide when zoomed out as much as possible before vignetted.
Would be nice if you could check it anyway

Maybe someone else can say if the magnification will be exactly half that for a +4 lens like the DCR-150, or if theres some nonlinear relationship going on....

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:54 AM   #5

well i have gotten used to it, and im actually loving it. the edges show up differently depending on if i use filters or not, but with none, it normally doesnt show up after 2x

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"*you can look at my orchid show thread to see some samples (in panasonicforums)
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:43 PM   #6

Yeah looks good.
But if you have the time, could you maybe take two testshots of a ruler. One full zoomed in, and one zoomed out to just before vignetting appears, and see what widths you capture with the 250.

I would guess like just over 10mm at full tele, and maybe around 30-40mm zoomed out to where vignetting almost starts.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:00 PM   #7

well it doesnt really focus very well with my auto focus only on the fz5, so i had to move the camera back a little after focusing to get it in focus, so that kinda ruins the point of the experiment, but here they are anyway.

these are millimeters, well the little ones are.

original shot at 2x:

12x shot (moved back a bit to focus, wish i had an fz50 ):

Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:50 PM   #8

Ok, thanks a lot
So about 12mm across at full tele, and about 35mm across when zoomed out to 2x zoom.
Great

Just wanted to know how close you could get, and how far away you can get when zooming out, since you cant just back off with the camera to get lower magnification.

I'll see if I'll buy one or not....I'm looking a bit towards DSLR's too, but shooting macros with them seems like a pain so maybe a macro-lens for my Canon S3 would be good for me no matter what.

Must be a pain to not have any MF at all, thats one of the reasons I never bought that Panasonic, instead waited and now I own a S3 which has a good MF, at least for close macros where its easy to see focus or not.

EDIT: Wish I had a FZ50 too But wouldn't pay that amount of money for any camera that has such noise-problems and applies so much smearing to the pictures.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:53 PM   #9

i think ill probably get an fz30 or fz50 soon
Old Feb 21, 2007, 7:12 PM   #10

I think I recently read that with Macros you should use manual focus, not auto. I don't remember why exactly but I think it had to do with the camera not always focusing where you want it to focus.

Al
mebareit is offline   Reply With Quote