Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Feb 23, 2007, 2:37 PM   #1

I was looking at getting some lenses for my S3 IS and after looking on ebay i saw some differnent brands that i've never heard of, but that were much cheaper than the Raynox or Canon versions. "Digital Concepts" and "Tokina" are a few that come to mind. They are much cheaper, but i was just wondering what loss in picture quality comes with the cheaper price.Thanks for anyhelp!!
surfTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2007, 9:16 AM   #2

Those El-Cheapo lenses on E-bay are just atrocious. They lack any quality at all. I have tried several on different cameras...I can't help myself...I'm an equipment junkie. The best quality for the cheapest price in my opinion is the Olympus TCON-17. Sometimes they can be had for less than $80 on E-bay. I got mine for $70. My experience includes: I currentlyhave the Oly TCON, The Oly C-210, the Raynox 1850pro, the Raynox 1540pro, the CrystalVue SHD20, and the Nikon TC-E15ED. My superzooms include 4 Fuji, the Canon S3IS, and a Nikon. My current favorite birdshooting setup is the S3 + Nikon TC. The Nikon lens is more expensive but is tack sharp edge to edge and is quite light in weight. ...Grix

http://grix3378.fotopic.net
grix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3

Yeah i saw on ebay the refurbished one can be had for even less. Not too sure if that's a great idea or not. Can the Olympus lens be used w/ the standard 52mm adapter tube?
surfTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2007, 1:08 AM   #4

I have gotten two refurbished lenses from Olympus thru their Ebay sales. Both were as new. I have had quite good luck with refurbished items. I got a refurb Nikon Coolpix directly from Nikon and another one from Adorama. Both were like new. The Oly C-210 lens is 52mm and the Oly TCON-17 is a 55mm. I have the 58mm adapter tube for my S3 and use a step down ring for each. ...Grix

http://grix3378.fotopic.net
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:01 PM   #5
AMN

Hello, how well does the S3IS work with the Tcon-17 throughout the zoom.

Thanks,

AMN
AMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 9:09 AM   #6

About the last 40% of the zoom range without vignetting. ...Grix