Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2007, 1:21 PM   #1

A simple macro-lens, like those you attach to a P&S in front of the lens, how good do those things work for a DSLR telezoom? Maybe not the simplest, but the more expensive ones with two lenses in, like the very high quality and very powerful Raynox DCR-250.

Can you buy a DSLR with a telezoom hitting around 300mm, and instead of buying a expensive macro-lens you just snap on the Raynox on the tele when you want to do macros?

Will the results be really good, just like when its used on a highend P&S?
I've seen Panasonic FZ30/FZ50 pics with the Raynox that are DSLR-class, and I've just started using it myself on my S3 and it really gives great quality. Will it be the same on a DSLR tele, or are something different there which will give lower quality or some other downside?

Thanks if anyone knows
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2007, 4:11 PM   #2

Not sure how well the Raynox attachment would do on a DSLR lens. The Canon 52mm Close-Up Lens 250D and Canon 52mm Close-Up Lens 500D for example, are quite well thought of.

I use the Sigma70-300mm APO DG MACRO which gives me half life size on the sensor and is quite good. The working distance is about 95cm at full macro so you can stay at a safe distance from that tarantula or scorpion!

Best results would be with a real macro lens of course.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2007, 4:46 PM   #3

Bob Nichol wrote:
Quote:
Not sure how well the Raynox attachment would do on a DSLR lens. The Canon 52mm Close-Up Lens 250D and Canon 52mm Close-Up Lens 500D for example, are quite well thought of.

I use the Sigma70-300mm APO DG MACRO which gives me half life size on the sensor and is quite good. The working distance is about 95cm at full macro so you can stay at a safe distance from that tarantula or scorpion!

Best results would be with a real macro lens of course.
Ok, but similar lenses like 250D or 500D does work and give good results on a long tele. I'm sure the Raynox will too then, cause its really high quality....amazing lens it is.

I guess you will get better quality and specially more magnified macros with such a lens on a nice long tele, then with one of the cheap Sigmas with integrated halfdecent 1:2?
ASBR is offline   Reply With Quote