Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Mar 21, 2007, 3:58 PM   #1

Hello everyone I just purchased a hoya cir polarizing filter for my sony h2 and on the back of the case it says made by tokina I didnt realize that tokina made hoya filters and when reading about tokina lenses in these forums it doesnt seem like that they make such great lenses anybody have any information on this. was this a possible knock off filter?
ultranitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2007, 4:27 PM   #2

Tokina, Hoya and Kenko are all the same company! http://www.hoyafilter.com/ and check the company name at the bottom of the page! http://www.kenko-tokina.co.jp/e/index.html
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:25 AM   #3

Thanks Bob for that information ,still makes one wonder why hoya filters ccome highly recommended and the tokina lenses are often refered to as '' junk'' thanks agaian,alan
ultranitwit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 4:48 PM   #4

Actually, I don't think Hoya filters are as good as their reputation indicates. I've done many UV/Skylight filter tests in the past including Hoya, B&W, Tiffen, Promaster, Toyo, Fotodioxand Sigma and found the Sigma MC UV to be the best in terms of preserving image quality and color accuracy (noneof them really cut hardly anyhaze as the manufacturers advertise). B&W came in second while Hoya was third close to Fotodiox (a cheap "unknown" brand found on eBay).
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:53 AM   #5

ultranitwit2 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks Bob for that information ,still makes one wonder why hoya filters ccome highly recommended and the tokina lenses are often refered to as '' junk'' thanks agaian,alan
Where did you hear that Tokina lenses are crap ?

I`ve heard quite the opposite , almost every article or review i`ve read say that Tokina are the best build third party lenses around and having had many different lenses from both Sigma , Tamron & Tokina i can confirm that Tokina are the best .

I love my Tokina 12-24mm f/4 & 100mm f/2.8 macro and they are not expensive at all.
Try to find a bad review on any of these 2 lenses.
Attached Images

guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:11 PM   #6

I woulden't say they were cr*p,
Companies keep acquiring each other. :-)
I'd guess the different brand names may now be used for different quality levels?

Just like washing machines (recent adventure) did you know that "Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Inglis, Brastemp, Bauknecht and a few other store brands are all now by the same company "Whirlpool Corporation"?

Personally I don't bother with UV filters, but I do have polarizers from Hoya, B+W and Sigma.
All seem to be very good, the Sigma at 280$cdn for the 105mm was by far the most expensive.
The polarizers from the Hoya Pro-1d DMC series and B+W's seem to be very good (and quite expensive) too.
It seems the average price here for the 67mm-77mm filter range is 150$cdn-190$cdn for both makes.

The Tiffins in the local stores seem to be the lowest cost, way down in the 30$-40$ range. Never tried one, so cannot comment on their quality :G
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote