Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:39 AM   #1

Default CrystalVue 8X32 - sharpshooter versus LX

Has anyone experience or knowledge on the CrystalVue 8X32 sharpshooter and LX lenses? The sharpshooter has a 37mm thread and is similar to the Eagleeye Opticzoom lens but is 8X rather than 5X, whereas the LX has a 42mm thread and exhibits less vignetting.

My question is threefold :

1. Are these two lenses similar in quality
2. Is te Lx more particularly more bulky than the sharpshooter.
2. Can the Lx be used on the Coolpix range (particularly the 995) - I want to use it on both my 995 and C2040.
tintinphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:40 AM   #2

Forgot to include the link to the website on these lenses - http://ckcpower.com/.
tintinphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 2:47 AM   #3

it's less vignetting, if vignetting is a problem with the ordinary crystal vue.

as i understand it, the non-LX is smaller, lighter, sharper, has 37mm both ends, which is nice, but as a result will vignette badly on certain cameras.
LX is a workaround, but i think there is a compromise in the optics.
iodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:21 AM   #4

Default Re: CrystalVue 8X32 - sharpshooter versus LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintinphoto
Has anyone experience or knowledge on the CrystalVue 8X32 sharpshooter and LX lenses? The sharpshooter has a 37mm thread and is similar to the Eagleeye Opticzoom lens but is 8X rather than 5X, whereas the LX has a 42mm thread and exhibits less vignetting.
My 950/990/995/4500 user guide has a couple of pages testing the CrystalVue 8X against other monoscopes. The CrystalVue comes with a 28-37mm step-up ring so that it can be used with Coolpix 9xx and 4500 cameras.

Quote:
1. Are these two lenses similar in quality
I do not have the LX version and cannot say anything about it. However, the LX version cannot be used on the 9xx/4500 series, perhaps, due to serious vignetting.

Quote:
2. Is te Lx more particularly more bulky than the sharpshooter.
Yes, it is larger.

Quote:
3. Can the Lx be used on the Coolpix range (particularly the 995) - I want to use it on both my 995 and C2040.
No, as stated above. For the 995, you'd better go with the CrystalVue 8X. The CrystalVue 8X has higher contrast and may be a little less sharp than the EagleEye 5X. It also suffers from more chromatic aberration. On the other hand, the EagleEye 5X on a 995/4500 has worse light fall-off in the corner areas; however, it is faster due to its larger lens barrel. The EagleEye 5X has another drawback that I dislike very much: its minimum focus distance is about 11 feet which is much longer than any one of the monoscopes. Of the two 8X monoscopes (i.e., CrystalVue 8X and Kenko 8X), CrystalVue 8X is much sharper than the Kenko. It is also sharper than the Kenko 6X and Nikon TelescoMicro 6X; however, the TelescoMicro 6X has an amazing microscopic capability, although it is very expensive and not very good for distant subjects.

See my 4500 user guide for the details. These lens tests are listed in the "Odd Stuffs" section near the bottom of the user guide home page.

CK
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam
Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500 User Guide
shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2003, 8:07 PM   #5

Default CHECK OUT

Check out the ScopeTronix web site they have some nice things for rhe Nikon cameras....but it IS more $$$. After having someof the monoscopes talked about I found the ScopeTronix to be worth the extra cost.
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2006, 8:32 PM   #6

Hi,

Is the CrystalVue 8X32 sharpshooter compatible with the Panasonic FZ-30 or FZ-50?
The thread size on both FZ-30 and 50 is 55mm.
Will that cause problems because of difference in sizes between the camera's and the CrystalVue 8X32 sharpshooter lens?

I'm new to cameras and photography and don't know much about lenses and hope to learn from you guys.

Thank you...

user007 is offline   Reply With Quote