Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 25, 2003, 4:56 AM   #1

Default Att: Lin Evans or others

:P Knowing Lin is an expert on lenses, I have directed this to him though I would love to hear from anybody. I am looking for information concerning the canon tc-dc52 lens. I guess the popular question would be, will this lens work with the canon g series cameras. Personally I wish to use it with the canon a70 and it is the lens that canon recomends. I am trying to find out about quality/clarity and mentioned it in a thread of g series users. there are aparentlly g series users that are intersted in this lens (2.4x instead of the 1.7x of the tc-dc58 recomended for the g series). It would also seem that nobody has used it with a g series and posted about it over on dpreview.
My intrest is one good quality telephoto (very prefrablly over 2x), for my a70. The lack of filter threads on the canon lenses is a defanate minus. The ability to use some zoom (not just full telephoto) is a plus but not nessasary. A big as* lens, so that I am using the center of the lens would be great, but filters that size are $$$$ so it's a trade off.
For my friends over on dpreview that use the g-series, I think they would like to know, will it even work with a g series camera, and is the clarity/quality good?
I would very much appreciate any input from anybody and would be more than happy to pass along any info for g series users (or refer them to here).
Here is the thread on dpreview, by the way.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5678508
Thanks very much for any help or advice!!!!!
richardh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2003, 8:31 PM   #2

Hi Richard,

Sorry to take so long to reply - I've been out of town and only recently returned.

Unfortunately I really don't have an answer for you because I've not used that lens.

Not having filter threads makes it necessary to use some sort of adapter usually which bolts to the tripod mount and provides a way of mechanically holding the tele adapter in close proximity to the front of your camera's lens objective.

I'm assuming that you either have or have knowledge of such an adapter for your camera. If so, the important thing is to decide how much telephoto you need.

My experience has all been with digicams which have filter threads, so I'm on thin ground when making suggestions about alternative ways. You might want to contact PhotoSolve - (link below) and see if Phil Williams has any input on this. I believe he has a series of tools which allow connecting telephoto lenses to some cameras which have no filter threads. He may be able to help with your problem as well....

Best regards,

Lin

http://www.photosolve.com
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 2:02 AM   #3

Default Thanks for the response

No problem about the time frame. I very much appreciate your taking the time to respond. I seem to have mis-stated myself. I have the canon adapter for my a70 which has 52mm filter threads. The lens does have 52mm filter threads also, to mount the lens to the camera (it is the lens that canon recomends for the a70). What I meant was that it does not have front filter threads to atach additional filters on the front. I saw a post on the powershot forum with some example pics. I was very impressed with this lens. It seemed clear from edge to edge and very little fisheye distortion you see on some teleconverters. Much beter than any of the teleconverters I already have. I think I will get this lens sooner or later (I have other telephoto lenses so I am not in a hurry).
As far as the filter threads go, I saw a post a little while back (I cannot remember where) sugesting using epoxy to attach a step ring to the front for filters. In fact, I think it was a post by you about another lens. If it was, do you have any sugestion on how to best do this? I have machining experience but unfortunatlly do not have access to a machine shop. I have plenty of files, dremmel etc. so minor modifications to the step ring shouldn't be a problem.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:13 PM   #4

Hi Richard,

I think it may have been a post by Jimmie or someone who had used epoxy to connect a filter ring to the front of a B-300 Olympus lens which also isn't threaded for filters.

To do this isn't difficult and probably won't require any machining, but you first need to know the inside diameter of the objective "shade" area for the lens. Really there are only two ways to find out. Maybe you could get the supplier to measure it, then find a filter ring the next size down and measure the outside diameter. If you get them reasonably close and if there is any taper (there often is) on the shade area, you should be able to snug the filter ring in and cement it with epoxy. Then it's just a matter of finding the proper sized filter or a step ring up or down to make the connection.

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 2:45 AM   #5

Default Thanks again for the info.

Thanks again for helping. I think that I am going to put getting the canon lens on hold for a little while. I just got another 2x teleconverter and have started experimenting with slr lenses on my digital too (just cheap used ones, you know, play with them and see what they will do and then tear them apart for the fun of it), so my money and time are elsewhere right now.