Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 9, 2007, 11:45 PM   #11

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
For dnas: a crap lens is still crap, regardless of how you focus through it.
I was refering to the fact that some cameras have a "Add on lens" setting, and that this may have been the case for this camera/lens combination. That means it's worth trying the macro setting, rather than just throwing the whole kit away.

If it wasn't focusing AT ALL, then this is worth a try, regardless of whether it is a crap lens or not.

And I mentioned that nothing can be done about the color shift towards the edges, indicating that this add on lens may not be much good.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 11:47 PM   #12

Webguy101au wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I think I tried setting it to macro and tried shooting my keyboard and it was not in focus. I may try another test.

Cheers
The macro setting I was refering to, may be needed to focus that add on lens to INFINITY.

Try another test... you may be in luck!!
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 10:58 AM   #13

any sample pictures? i would like to see how bad/good the results are.
whisky_n_whisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:36 AM   #14

it might be some settings that u are not enabling maybe ???
i got a no name really really cheap .45x wide lens for my olympus sp-550. i actually ordered 2x tele lens but they sent me wrong lens then i was ok with it as 18x optical was already ok.

anyways. in full size photos there definitely is alot of chromatic aberration on top left and right corners. centre of the image is very very clear. on olympus sp550 you have to enable conversion lens option or the camera doesn't want to focus. ur camera might have an option like that.

the chromatic aberration u get on the corners can easily be fixed with photoshop or even paintshop pro has one step crm. ab. removal.

ok now i'll try to put a couple of samples here i took with my camera... (never posted pics here before not sure how it works)
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:37 AM   #15

it might be some settings that u are not enabling maybe ???
i got a no name really really cheap .45x wide lens for my olympus sp-550. i actually ordered 2x tele lens but they sent me wrong lens then i was ok with it as 18x optical was already ok.

anyways. in full size photos there definitely is alot of chromatic aberration on top left and right corners. centre of the image is very very clear. on olympus sp550 you have to enable conversion lens option or the camera doesn't want to focus. ur camera might have an option like that.

the chromatic aberration u get on the corners can easily be fixed with photoshop or even paintshop pro has one step crm. ab. removal.

ok now i'll try to put a couple of samples here i took with my camera... (never posted pics here before not sure how it works)
Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:44 AM   #16

continued from above.

like i said if you have photoshop, or paintshop pro or similar programs u can get rid of most of the chromatic aberration without effecting the overall quality of the image. i definitely wouldn't recommend a low quality lens for bigger prints like posters or 8-9 mega pixel full size prints, but this lens does a perfectly adequate job for 4x6 or even one step bigger prints.

oh also price. i paid about 20 bucks for my lens (yes thats how cheap it is)
above image is an HDR photo with 3 different exposures, also resized so it is at this point very difficult to talk about the quality of the job lens did. but i have much bigger versions of this image on other web sites that you can check. the quality difference isnt that huge.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:49 PM   #17

I also have the Bower Digital Super Wide 0.42x AF Lens. I was quite surprised by the results of this lens, considering the price. I am presently using it on my Sony DSC-H5. By attaching the the lens to my lens hood tube with an adapter ring I am free to zoom throughout the camera's full range without worry of my lens hitting the wide angle lens. The auto focus seems to be working very well even without using the wide conversion lens option on my camera. I too am having some success with my first few shots with this lens. I am still in the experimental stages of it's use and I'm sure that my shots can only get better as I learn the lens' nuances and play with the Macro and Conversion lens options. The one thing that bothers me about using a Conversion lens is the fact that the built in flash is partially blocked by the lens and casts a horrific shadow from the lens, so for flash photography I wouldn't use the Conversion lens unless I want to spend a great deal of time doctoring the Photo with Photoshop.

Here are a few pictures taken with this setup.
Attached Images

MrEdinarea51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:52 PM   #18

Outdoors handheld @1.5 sec shutterspeed (thank God for Image Stabilization)
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2009, 4:59 PM   #19

This is the best flash shot I've taken with this lens attached there was a good amount of ambient light. The depth of field doesn't seem very good but it's within acceptable limits for me.
Attached Images

Old Jan 1, 2009, 5:40 PM   #20

Here is a shot at app 3" distance with the Wide Angle Conversion lens turned on and the lens not zoomed out so much.
Attached Images