Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 2, 2007, 12:02 AM   #1

I have a kodak DX7630 and have started to shoot panoramas, got sick of having to take so many shots for a full panorama with the normal lens, so decided to try a .42x fisheye screw-on job. It finally arrived and I had the camera here with me so tried some shots.

Firstly, it cannot be screwed on when you turn the camera on, otherwise the main lens hits the addon lens and the camera shuts down. So, you need to turn it on, zoom in 1 step before you can attach the lens and tube etc. I can live with that I guess.

I tried taking a few shots here in the office, it certainly was a lot wider than the normal lens which was good. Can't use the flash as it blocks it. The DX7630 I believe is not TTL metering, and it tends to under expose a shot. Inside shots are very grainy.

I tried some outside shots this morning, most are not focused. I set the camera to infinity mode so it should not need to focus anyways.

Really bad cyan shift in a lot of bright areas, like tree branches etc.

Here are the specs as listed for the lens...

[align=left] Bower Day or Night Vision High Resolution Wide Angle Fisheye Lens[/align]
  • [align=left]0.42X Titanium High Definition professional Super Wide Angle Lens [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] High-index / low-dispersion optical glass[/align][/*]
  • [align=left] IR Compatible [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Fully multi-coated, every element [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Anti-reflection coating [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Full Panoramic capability [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] High speed auto-focus / Infrared compatible [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Designed to maximize day and night shots by providing maximum light and image transmission with minimum distortion [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Fantastic for all types of photographic situations [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] 37mm Rear Threads , 46mm Front Threads for Filters [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Built-in macro lens for extreme close-up shots [/align][/*]
  • [align=left] Made and designed in Japan [/align][/*]
I Also got their 2x tele lens cause it came in the "package", I can't even get the camera to focus through that.

Does anyone have the same lens? If so, what sort of results are u getting?

I'm about ready to say I've wasted my money here, as it is, it's useless to me. I need clear images, not blurry ones and certainly do not need the colour shifting.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? lol
Webguy101au is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2007, 9:26 AM   #2

You didn't say what you paid for the lens, but I am guessing - not much.
When it comes to optics, you get what you pay for. There is a reason that quality wide angles lenses are VERY expensive. It takes a lot to properly correct the lens for aberations and to achieve good focus across the entire frame.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 9:44 AM   #3

As you would expect, it cost very little and agree, you get what you pay for, I guess i was just hoping someone else had the same lens and was getting good results and it was just me ;-)
Old May 2, 2007, 2:30 PM   #4

Titanium High Definition

Um, did you buy these addons from ebay ?

Generally when I see a lens described as titanium, high definition or professional, combined with a cheap price,it triggers a "run away" reflex.

Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 5:44 PM   #5

Yeah, these 'Titanium High Definition' lenses have been discussed before and are known to be of poor quality.
Old May 5, 2007, 11:55 PM   #6

Great to know this. I plan to buy these items tomorrow ... and sure i'll cancel it :shock:
spyro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2007, 11:59 PM   #7

Their has to be some brand worth buying.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:05 AM   #8

Before you do anything, set the camera to macro (close up), and see if that sharpens it up at all.

The add on lens modifies the focus characteristic of your camera, and it's often the case that rather than setting itto "infinity", setting it tomacro will work better.

There's nothing you can do about a color shift towards the edges. If the add on lens is not designed with your lens in mind, then it's almost certain to produce color fringing near the edges.

dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2007, 12:08 AM   #9

Hi, I think I tried setting it to macro and tried shooting my keyboard and it was not in focus. I may try another test.

Cheers
Old May 9, 2007, 4:36 PM   #10

For tjsnaps: Century Precision Optics makes some excellent addon lenses, although mainly for video cameras.
Some of the Kenko and Raynox lenses are pretty good. Both manufacturers have a good and better line of lenses.
Then there is always the camera manufacturer's addon lens (if they offer one).

For dnas: a crap lens is still crap, regardless of how you focus through it.