Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 28, 2003, 3:40 PM   #1

Default Can anyone tell me if this lense is good in picture qualit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30067

And how it works?
ops:

Thanks you very much
:P
rockp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:05 PM   #2

Kenko makes decent optics, but I know nothing about that lens.

It attaches to the front of the camera, giving you a more powerful zoom. Since you haven't mentioned what camera you have, I can't say if it would work on yours or not. It says an extention tube comes with it, but each tube us custom for each camera (I believe) so without listing which camera this goes to... the tube coming with it sounds odd to me.

There is a clear product name in the picture. I would do some web searching to see if you can learn more.

I would also search www.resellerratings.com for 47st photo to see if they are a reputable company.

And don't forget, that is a company, not a person. I would not be surprised if they put up another one some time after this auction closes. Don't over bid, it isn't worth it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:14 PM   #3

Thanks

It seems like 47st photo is a good dealer.
Mine is a new 5400, I may need to wait for the newer tube come out.
:roll:
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:39 PM   #4

rockp - I would say the chances of that lens having even 'acceptable' quality for a digital camera is 'nill'. It might very well work ok for a camcorder, but that's about it.

Does the CP 5400 have a small enough front lens t use the 3x Nikon teleconvertor made for the 990, 4500, etc.? I"m guessng not. If not, then your only quality 3x option is an Olympus TCON-300. Not a cheap alternative! It's pretty darn big too. $600 plus more than $100 to have a custom mountng plate fabricated to use the lens on your camera. Hope is not lost though. You can get an Olympus TCON-17(1.7x) that is of very acceptable quality for about $100 USD. I suggest looking into that if you can not use the small size Nikon tele.

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2003, 11:10 AM   #5

You can contact the folks at www.2filters.com and they sell the lens for $98 with free shipping. This is less that the shipping and bid at ebay. They will also provide you advice on whether the lens will meet your needs with your camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 9:15 AM   #6

WmAx,

Thank you for your information
What I need to get in order to put TCON-17 on my nikon 5400?

Rockp
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:23 AM   #7

Canon also has a 1.75X may be good.

Does anyone use it?
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:13 PM   #8

I can not speak on behalf of the Canon. I only comment on lenses i have seen in sem-controlled comparisions against each other. However, the Kenkos, Tiffen, and generics(like Platinum, etc.) have cnosistenly produced absolutely repuslive results(total lack of sharpness, severe CA, poor contrast) on modern digital cameras with moderate to high resolutions. That is why i specifcally recommend against them.

RockP, your Nikon 5400 should need an adapter tube to fit the TCON-17 lens, if you are interested in that. Nikon should sell a tube or you may find a generic one at sties like cameragear.com and 2filter.com for a lower price perhaps. The TCON-17 has a 55mm thread, so you may have to use a step up ring adapter on the adapter tube to use the Olympus TCON-17 lens. I don't know anything aoub the adatper tube needed for the 5400. Maybe you should ask in the Nikon forum?

-Chris
WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:55 AM   #9

The standard Nikon adapter for the 5400 that lets you mount nikons tele and wide adapter lenses for this camera gives you what looks like a 49mm thread.
They also have a couple of other adapter tubes that fit the 5400, one is for a fisheye adapter(180^ field of view) and one is for a slide copy adapter.

The 5400 is designed to take the same addon lenses as the 5700.
So if you can bolt it to a 5700 it will probably also work on the 5400.
But you can never be sure, the two cameras are different in physical size, and lense range.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote