Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old May 19, 2007, 7:51 PM   #1

Hello. Please help me. I am looking for a low cost multi-coat lens filter (58 mm). Which are the best online stores or regular stores that I can buy this from? Hint: I don't like to buy from eBay.

I did search and found something from Wolf/Ritz camera. They sell the Quantaray filters, which I've never heard of. Are these good or are they junk?

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/24...ifilters-round

I'd like to keep my expenditure below $20 if possible.

Thanks in advance! :?
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 9:09 AM   #2

One of the best online photo stores is B&H in NY.

www.bhphotovideo.com

Very, very reliable.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2007, 3:02 AM   #3

Why would you place a cheap piece of glassin front ofyour expensive lens? Just because the manufacturer labels a filter as being MC it does not mean it's good. I do believe in using filters to protect my lenses but not the real cheap ones. When it comes to filters, you get what you pay for. Quantaray qualityis mediocre as is Tiffen. I'd stick to Sigma, Hoya and B&W filters.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 8:45 AM   #4

The suggestion of B&H (or Adorama, for that matter) is a good one. Any good full-service camera shop will have a wide selection of filters and be able to help you select the one(s) you want. Alternatively, there is at least one filters-onlywebsite that I have used and liked, Filter Connection (http://www.2filter.com/).

Any filter you can get for $20 is going to be less than ideal. Good filters are expensive. You can get some sense of what the differences are between good and cheap filters by reading some of the information at the Filter Connection web site.

tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 1:33 AM   #5

shutter_bug wrote:
Quote:
Hello. Please help me. I am looking for a low cost multi-coat lens filter (58 mm). Which are the best online stores or regular stores that I can buy this from? Hint: I don't like to buy from eBay.

I did search and found something from Wolf/Ritz camera. They sell the Quantaray filters, which I've never heard of. Are these good or are they junk?

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/24...ifilters-round

I'd like to keep my expenditure below $20 if possible.

Thanks in advance! :?

I do not know what camera you are using but the link you have is pointing to is a 1A, which is not needed on digital cameras. Quantaray filters are ok just ok. You also did not mention what kind of filter you are looking for but you did use the term MC so I am assuming a UV model. Stay away from expensive multicoatedUV filters. They are a waste of money. UV filterswith one coating on each side are scientifically not as effective but you are splitting hairs. You will never see the difference and never see a manufacturer showing visual test comparisons. The only change you see is less money in your wallet. Remember on digital camera UV do nothing so which filter does nothing better?

LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote