Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:31 PM   #1

Hi guys.

I've just picked up a 58mm polarizing filter for my S7000 & I'm a little disappointed with it.
From various 'sample' images I've seen, polarizing filters remove the reflection from glass & water.
However after having a play I cannot achive this, I can make a reflection in glass slightly dissaper, but we're talking only very slightly.
What am I doing wrong? Its a Sakar, marked as a 'CPL' I assume this is circular polarizing lens?

Cheers
rossnunn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2007, 2:51 PM   #2

Here are a couple of examples;

as you can see, improves it, but doesn't actually clear it completely

:?:
Old Jul 12, 2007, 4:42 PM   #3

Actually what you're showing is a decent improvement. Understand that the "sample" photos you've seen from the manufacturer were set up (lighting/reflection angles) to show the maximum improvement. Those conditions don't always happen in real life.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 5:59 PM   #4

Did you rotate the filter to find the best result?
Don't expect too much. Your example is an extreme. The filter will not remove a mirror like reflection. Try removing reflections from the cars paint.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:56 PM   #5

thanks guys, yup I rotated the filter & those are the to extremes.
I'll try some shots of the car's shine - that'll mean cleaning it! :lol:
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:51 AM   #6

Only when incident light is around 30 degree, your PL can successfully remove most reflection. So, you will need some basicknowledge about PL to use it fully. Please see the Polarizer page of my Panasonic FZ-30 user guide. The use of a polarizer is camera independent.

CK

http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam

Nikon Coolpix 950/990/995/2500/4500/5700, Panasonic FZ-10/FZ-30, and Canon A95 User Guides

shene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 2:16 AM   #7

There are polarizes and polarizes. I havepol filters fromvarious brands and they all perform differently. Some cut glare/reflection more than others. Usually, Sakar products are not that good. They have cheap converters that are really bad. I'm not familiar with their filters but I'm willing to bet they are not as good as say Hoya or B+W. One of the best polarize filters I have is the Hoya Moose warm pol. The problem is that itincreases saturation too much and you loose about 1 1/2 to 2 fstops. This means you need a lot more light to avoid camera shake (unless you have a tripod or use high a ISO setting, which in turn increases noise). As mentioned, your camera needs to be at a certain angle in relation to the image for maximum results. So, I would first lower the expectations to start up with and thentry a different brand.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2007, 3:07 AM   #8

I don't think the actual polarization varies much between brands. Or between circular and linear. What varies is lens quality and coating.

I don't like any type of filter combined with a polarizer. That just confuses the WB on a digital camera. Most color or warming can be done better and with more control in an editor.

I'll link this because the subject might not be appropriate. I was wearing a pair of $5 polarized sunglasses I picked up at the boat shop. I put them in front of the lens on my old Oly C50. Look at the chrome around the window and the clouds reflected from the paint. And of course it did a nice job on the window. They were brown and the WB didn't completely compensate. But the polarization is as good as my Minolta circular polarizer. http://www.pbase.com/slipe/image/15070822 The bottom photo is the one with the sunglasses of course.

A pair of polarized sunglasses is an excellent tool for using a polarizer – especially with a non-DSLR. Just tilt your head until you get the best effect and set the indicator on the polarizer to the same angle. It works better than anything you can do in an EVF. You can also get a much better idea of what parts of the sky are polarized.

You would probably have found that the polarizer reduced the glare more if you could have gotten more angle with the window. The greater the angle the more reflections become polarized so the filter can eliminate them.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2007, 4:38 PM   #9

Hi guys, thanks for the response.

After taking a while to get the hang of how the filter worked, I was pretty impressed.
Some images it worked really well on, this Supra's side window for example:

http://tinyurl.com/yt587k

& this Audi R8 engine cover:

http://tinyurl.com/2chygm

But other times I couldn't dial out the reflection, no matter what angle or position I tried, like this Renault 5 for example:

http://tinyurl.com/ynohjz

All the images were taken in bright sunlight & I'm pretty happy with the CPL's results.

One thing I couldn't decide on was, when taking photo's of cars, weather to dial out the reflection off the windscreen or the side windows as my CPL wouldn't do both.
I chose the windscreens.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:53 PM   #10

rossnunn.com wrote:
Quote:
Hi guys, thanks for the response.

After taking a while to get the hang of how the filter worked, I was pretty impressed.
Some images it worked really well on, this Supra's side window for example:

http://tinyurl.com/yt587k

& this Audi R8 engine cover:

http://tinyurl.com/2chygm

But other times I couldn't dial out the reflection, no matter what angle or position I tried, like this Renault 5 for example:

http://tinyurl.com/ynohjz

All the images were taken in bright sunlight & I'm pretty happy with the CPL's results.

One thing I couldn't decide on was, when taking photo's of cars, weather to dial out the reflection off the windscreen or the side windows as my CPL wouldn't do both.
I chose the windscreens.
You have a camera that has a fixed lens and you should be using a linear polarizer. The linear is more effective then a circular model the former dropping f-stop by 3 the latter by two. The other thing you need to consider the angle of the light /sun source. For best results, the SUN needs to be hitting the side of your face while you focus on the subject. Polarizer filters are not very effective on a cloudy day but the linear will always out perform the circular. Lastly I would not classify Sakar as a mid or high quality filter. Not all filter are created equal some have laminates between the glass others have the materials imbedded in the optical glass. I do not know what your adapter size is but a 55mm Hoya PL $21.45 on eBay will give you excellent results.
LoveLife is offline   Reply With Quote