Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:01 AM   #1

On July 3, 07 I bought a Canon S3 IS. It came with 3 filters, 2 lenses, and a tube adapter *EDITED TO ADD* they all are 58mm.

I should know this but I don't.

OK I got my camera and accessories out just a bit ago. I have not tried the filters or lenses yet. For the life of me I can not get them attached to the camera.

Any clue on how I get them to attach? I do have the tube adapter and it's on the camera. But the filters and lenses won't attach to the tube adapter.

I have the following filters.... UV, PL, FLD
I have the following lenses.... .5x wide angle macro, and 2x telephoto lens.

Hope someone can help. Thanks!

Jeannette

Canon S3 IS

JeannetteK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:17 PM   #2

As far as I know there are at least two common sizes of tube adapters, one ending in 52mm threads and one ending in 58mm threads.

Filters also come in various sizes, simply screwing onto the end of the tube, so I would assume the filters are the wrong size for the supplied adapter tube.

Most/many filters have the thread size printed on them what does yours say ?

Once you id the sizes, you need a cheap stepup or down ring to match the tube.

However since you mentioned the camera came with a x2 tcon (are there any good x2tcons out there?), its likely both the wide angle and tcon and indeed the filters are basic (cheap) versions, so you may like to buy better more expensive ones to match the excellent glass in the camera.

Anything put in front of the lens has a potential to absorb or reflect light, introduce flaws into the image, add distortions, light flares, increase fringing problems etc.

Thats why its always best to buy the more expensive multicoated filters, especially since many people like to permanently attach a uv(or clear filter) if only to lock out dust from the lens and protect it.

Of course many will say its never worth it to add a uv/clear filter and will only use such filters as NDs, polarisers etc when absolutely necessary.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:24 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply. The filters, lenses and tube adapter are all 58mm.

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know there are at least two common sizes of tube adapters, one ending in 52mm threads and one ending in 58mm threads.

Filters also come in various sizes, simply screwing onto the end of the tube, so I would assume the filters are the wrong size for the supplied adapter tube.

Most/many filters have the thread size printed on them what does yours say ?

Once you id the sizes, you need a cheap stepup or down ring to match the tube.

However since you mentioned the camera came with a x2 tcon (are there any good x2tcons out there?), its likely both the wide angle and tcon and indeed the filters are basic (cheap) versions, so you may like to buy better more expensive ones to match the excellent glass in the camera.

Anything put in front of the lens has a potential to absorb or reflect light, introduce flaws into the image, add distortions, light flares, increase fringing problems etc.

Thats why its always best to buy the more expensive multicoated filters, especially since many people like to permanently attach a uv(or clear filter) if only to lock out dust from the lens and protect it.

Of course many will say its never worth it to add a uv/clear filter and will only use such filters as NDs, polarisers etc when absolutely necessary.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:36 PM   #4

Umm, well if you still can't get the lens and filters to fit I am stumped...

The bayonet end of the tube fits to the camera, leaving a threaded end for the filters.
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 2:44 PM   #5

Thank you. I'll try again

Sintares wrote:
Quote:
Umm, well if you still can't get the lens and filters to fit I am stumped...

The bayonet end of the tube fits to the camera, leaving a threaded end for the filters.