Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Add-On Lenses

Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:55 AM   #1

Default A real stupid question about polarizing filters

I'm very new to digital cameras, but here is my question: I shoot a lot of 35 mm film outside near the water. With both my SLR cameras I almost always use polarizing filters. Why do so few of the pretty good (4 mg pixel $600 - $1000) digital cameras accept lenses or filters? Maybe I am missing something. Do most people shoot with a digital cameras on bright water without a filter?

Thanks for any help,

John Esler
eslerjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2002, 5:25 AM   #2
NHL

eslerjjj

Most of theses Point & Shoot requires an adapter tube accessory or thread extension in order to put on a filter... but it all do-able. That's why I pick the D7(i) also in your price range, but 5Mpixels instead, and come standard with a 49mm thread (that doesn't rotate with the lens). A Polarizer is must for any water shot in my opinion:

PS... You'll also find unless it's an EVF, or SLR, it's practically impossible to judge the effect when the polarizer is adjusted (ie my 990 had a lot of problem when I try to judge it's LCD in bright sunshine), just my 2c...

[Edited on 7-22-2002 by NHL]
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 9:42 AM   #3

Default Interesting......

Hi NHL,

I'll check out the D7(i). I'm still a bit confused by your answer, as most of the "point and shoot" cameras (as you called them), don't have threads in front of the lenses to take filters or adaptors. I find it odd that cameras that list for a grand, and have an amazing amount of feaures and menus for semi-serious photography don't take filters.

Do most digital camera folks just not use them?

PS. That's a beautifull picture. Nice shimmer on the water but still transparency and deep sky color.
eslerjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 12:06 PM   #4
NHL

I call P/S where the viewfinder is separate from the picture taking lens which is a majority of digital cameras. A few 'emulate' an SLR with an EVF such as the D7(i) that allow you to see through the lens, albeit at a much lower cost... However a lot of old timer doesn't like this idea since it's not a 'true' optical finder...

I just don't see how one can shoot without filters, especially a polarizer for watershots! With the D7i one can dial-in various warming effect with its built-in electronic filters, but a warming effect external glass piece also help digital cameras...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 7:14 PM   #5

Default Filter adapter for 5700

I easily made a filter adapter for my 5700 .. get 40.5->49 step up ring. Filr of most of the threads on the 40.5 part/ Wazu! You have 49mm fron thread!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2002, 2:51 AM   #6

John, there are different levels of non-interchangeable lens digicams. The "serious" category includes Nikon 5000, 995, Canon G2, Olympus C4040, etc. These ALL accept filters. I use everything from polarizers to Cokin P filters on my Olympus. There is a category of very small, or "travel" style, and although can be quite expensive, are not really the same level of "serious". To see the polarizer effect, press and hold the shutter release halfway. This locks the exposure, so you can see the difference as you rotate the filter. It is not an indisputable rule that the LCD is hard to use, it's just that many people find it less convenient than a viewfinder of an SLR.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote